About Demon...

Bulletins, Suggestions, and Non Transgender Topics

Re: About Demon...

Postby tsukiyoarts » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:05 pm

CuteButLooksPregnant wrote:Tsukiyo, and others, who do not understand proper word usage in written English---

PROBLEMATIC WORDING---

"transgenders ", "a transgender"
Transgender should be used as an adjective, not as a noun. Do not say, "Tony is a transgender," or "The parade included many transgenders," [or " I did not get more irritable, as it happens with some transgenders."]

PREFERRED ENGLISH WORD USAGE---

"transgender people", "a transgender person"
For example, "Tony is a transgender man," or "The parade included many transgender people."

PROBLEMATIC WORDING---

"transgendered"
The adjective transgender should never have an extraneous "-ed" tacked onto the end. An "-ed" suffix adds unnecessary length to the word and can cause tense confusion and grammatical errors. It also brings transgender into alignment with lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer [English word usage]. You would not say that Elton John is "gayed" or Ellen DeGeneres is "lesbianed," therefore you would not say Chaz Bono is "transgendered."

PREFERRED ENGLISH WORD USAGE---

"transgender"
[ " Jazz Jennings is a transgender teenager. Many of her admirers are transgender people. "]

Study this link for more information and examples---
https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

Good night,

Ah, that is what I was talking about. Your gently provided information will be very useful for my writing in the future, not only here, but at other places.

Also, thanks for taking your time in kindly editing your previous post too, so interpretation dumb people like me could better understand its intention. :)

Have a good day Ponytails,
Tsukiyoarts
Last edited by tsukiyoarts on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsukiyoarts
Regular

Postby CeliaEriksson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi CBLP!

I'm so glad that I really don't use the word often at all, even though it describes my present person. I don't think I am at all bothered if it's misused and cannot understand any shock-horror when it is, there are far, far more important issues to resolve, in my mind. The English language is a very fluid thing and English is my strongest subject, save History. Words change and the OE Dictionary is constantly upgraded. For example the verb and noun wank, noun wanker, or verb wanked. An Anglo-Saxon word that is thousands of years old. It got a new variation added recently, an adjective that is now acceptable English terminology.... 'Wankered' - to get drunk. So many pitfalls.... and I was schooled in England! Celia xx

PS.... I think Demon will be giggling at how a post about her has transmogrified!
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 pm

What I have encountered:

"Are you transgender?" "Yes, I am a transgender woman!"

"Are you transgendered?" "I am a transgender woman who is in transition", or "I am a woman in transition".

I am probably lucky in not having been confronted by mean spirited people who use 'transgender' in all of its iterations as a slur. I am also very forgiven of pronoun errors, questions that may appear offending, dead-naming, etc.

I know that when one of my familial sisters says 'he,....', or my other sister says 'you mean Michael,...' that they will immediately apologize and they also know that I won't walk out of the room.

Know your audience!
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby dreamin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:08 pm

fwiw i wouldn't have originally pointed out her misuse of the word in the other thread if it was a one-time thing (i've seen her use it a couple of times). i eventually pointed it out 'cause it was distracting for me to see a tgirl use that word & its plural, particularly when they've been on 'mones for a couple months at this point and are a sister in that regard. my mention was brief and educational (i provided a link)

btw thanks for caring enough to want us to halt the fighting<3 ...it's since stopped. your pic was cute*^.^*
"I'm a lone wolf, Brook, and a vicious one. Don't make me rip your throat out with my teeth." Piper - oitnb
dreamin

Location: up in your browser's cache, throwin' around bitcoins

Postby CeliaEriksson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 pm

dreamin wrote:
btw thanks for caring enough to want us to halt the fighting<3 ...it's since stopped. your pic was cute*^.^*

Tis ok, I understand. The bunny pic is rather cute! Celia xx
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby Kidagakash » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:50 am

I do not personally know her that well, but I actually like her. I see something in her that I see jn myself, too. I also do not always understand her intentions on everything she says, but I know shes not a troll, she's just different. We're all different, in our own ways. I would not reply to her posts though if I did not want to talk to her, and I don't usually bother to talk to people whom I do not care for. There are plenty of other people to fill that role, already. I haven't been around much lately because I just moved and dont have internet yet, so I haven't read her post you mentioned but I am intruiged and shall do so. Anyhow my only other thought is that I do not think she would be here if she didnt get something useful out of it, and yes some of her posts look like she is baiting people to argue against her, but at the same time I feel like she wants our company, or support, or just so e attention or vent, idk, its not my job to analyze people, but I do try to lend my ear to anyo e who I feel is worth my time and she Is. ^-^
-Kida
Kidagakash

Re: About tsukiyo...

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:46 am

dreamin wrote: I wouldn't have originally pointed out her misuse of the word in the other thread if it was a one-time thing (I've seen her use it a couple of times). I eventually pointed it out 'cause it was distracting for me to see a t-girl use that word & its plural . . . . ( italics mine )

I found it distracting, too. She seems to use those offensive and demeaning words with some regularity, that is what upset me, leading to my barbed comment earlier. That is also why I published the link to GLAAD, so as to attempt to educate her, instead of satirizing her.

Kidagakash wrote: I also do not always understand her intentions on everything she says, but I know she's not a troll, she's just different. We're all different, in our own ways. I would not reply to her posts though if I did not want to talk to her, and I don't usually bother to talk to people whom I do not care for.
. . . . yes, some of her posts look like she is baiting people to argue against her, but at the same time I feel like she wants our company, or support, or just so [much] attention or [to] vent, idk, it's not my job to analyze people . . . .
-Kida ( italics mine )

She really 'ticked off' dreamin. But since she is in Brazil, and English is probably her second language, as well as she is probably unfamiliar with English and American pop-culture, slang, and spoof, I am finding that I have to 'cut her some slack' with regard to the marginal English writing skills she displays, and not take immediate offense at the sometimes distressing way she 'talks down' to people here, using odd or unusual words and phrases. Given time, she may be able to 'pick up' on how the peeps here wish to be treated, and how to properly talk, via written English, to them without giving offense or misunderstanding. The real trick is how to tell her about her odditys, without triggering a tsunami of text and written repercussions by herself ( she likes to do massive walls of text and art, notice how she quotes everything twice, using up bookoo bandwidth ), or causing a lot of hard feelings. But I will try, I hope others do, too.

( BTW---I, too, am somewhat distressed that Demon's thread has drifted, but some of the off subjects really needed to be addressed anyway. )
I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail SpunGold

"Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope; to draw strength from...."

" TAILS ON !"
CuteButLooksPregnant

Previous

Return to General Discussion

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression