Video Games!

Bulletins, Suggestions, and Non Transgender Topics

Re: Video Games!

Postby twighlight kite » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 am

Just started playing Yakuza Zero yesterday. My first Yakuza game. Looks kinda cheap for a modern game, but fun and humourous. "My friend here is a whatchacallit... A fisting artist." Made me chuckle.
twighlight kite
New

Postby Shizuku » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 am

Ah, Yakuza. Some of the side quests are pretty funny/outlandish. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:16 am

Final Fantasy XV. Almost to the 6th chapter and it's still not really doing anything for me. Not sure how much longer I'm going to stick with it.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Shizuku » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:52 am

At the very least, the Comrades multiplayer co-op thing seems interesting. Granted, I'm a sucker for create-a-character type stuff (and it seems like a nice diversion from the bro-centricness of the main party lol).

You're pretty far in the game to not like it much. However, RPGs can be slow burns at times that end up being far worth it in the end. I doubt that's the case this time for you, but you never know. Personally, I'd take a break from it, and then randomly beat it one day mainly for the sake of completing it. If it gets better then that's just icing on the cake.
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 am

I dunno, at this point I kind of feel like it's like people who would argue "FF XIII gets really good at the 50 hour mark!" and I'm just like holy shit, if I have to play a game for 50 hours before it gets good, there's a problem. And I'm certainly a fan of RPGS, it just feels like Final Fantasy has lost its way. At this point I'd almost say VI, VII, and IX were the last really good ones. X was ok, but the newly added voice acting was REALLY bad and Blitzball was intolerable.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Medli » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:56 pm

So I'm sure it's a stretch, but any of you play Rivals of Aether?
If I make another move there'll be no more turning back
Because everything will change, and it all will fade to black
Will tomorrow ever come? Will I make it through the night?
Will there ever be a place for the broken in the light?
Medli

Postby kris » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 pm

PentacleGoddess wrote:I dunno, at this point I kind of feel like it's like people who would argue "FF XIII gets really good at the 50 hour mark!" and I'm just like holy shit, if I have to play a game for 50 hours before it gets good, there's a problem. And I'm certainly a fan of RPGS, it just feels like Final Fantasy has lost its way. At this point I'd almost say VI, VII, and IX were the last really good ones. X was ok, but the newly added voice acting was REALLY bad and Blitzball was intolerable.

I think with XV you have to like chilling out in that world to like the game. Under the original plot line for the released version, the game gets worse later on, in my opinion. It really feels as if the project was overly ambitious and they just could not finish it, but after so many years they couldn't sit on it any longer either.

Even though I have played the earlier titles prior to the PS1 generation, my experience with the series starts at VII. But I am not sure how I would rank them. VIII, IX, VII, X, XV, XII, X-2, XIII-2, XIII. The main reason I have XV that high is that I really enjoyed the way they actualized the world even though the story, the feeling of being unfinished and the sense of scale in the world were disappointing.
kris

Postby Shizuku » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 pm

I'll have you know that Tidus' laugh was top-notch voice acting, PG. :lol:

And for what it's worth, for an old handheld game, Type-0 was really good for its time.

Medli wrote:So I'm sure it's a stretch, but any of you play Rivals of Aether?

No (sadly), but I wish I could. Also, if you already haven't, you might want to check out Icons: Combat Arena. It's similar (i.e. Smash Bros-esque platform fighter). and looks very promising.
Last edited by Shizuku on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shizuku

Postby Medli » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Hmm, it looks interesting. Might at least look into it, but I feel I've found my niche with RoA and it really clicked with me so probably won't be giving other things too much attention.
Medli

Postby Shizuku » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:19 pm

It's in its early stages, if I recall correctly. I think with some polish and if the devs bring more original content to the table, it'll turn out okay.

Anyways, do you have a favorite character in RoA?
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:48 am

kris wrote:I think with XV you have to like chilling out in that world to like the game. Under the original plot line for the released version, the game gets worse later on, in my opinion. It really feels as if the project was overly ambitious and they just could not finish it, but after so many years they couldn't sit on it any longer either.

And see, that's my other issue. The whole meandering nature of the game is completely at odds with the patchwork story they're trying to sell. It's like

"Prince Noctis, you've just had your kingdom ripped from you and your father murdered! What are you going to do next?"

"I'm going to aimlessly wander the desert picking up dog tags and frogs for complete randos I met at the gas station!"

It just feels directionless.

VI for me is the prime example of the series at its best, both storytelling and gameplay-wise. Then VII, IX, X, and VIII. Should point out that for me, there's a pretty sizable drop from IX to VIII in that ranking. Subsequent games (X-2, XIII, and XV so far) have failed to keep my interest long enough to finish them. I especially hate XIII's combat.

Shizuku wrote:I'll have you know that Tidus' laugh was top-notch voice acting, PG. :lol:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! (Is that my reaction to your assertion or am I referencing the scene? You decide! =D)
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Medli » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:09 am

Ori was just released, but he's amazing. I actually know the character already liked him so there's a plus there, but his gameplay is so good too. His aerials are fantastic, he's just fantastic at carrying characters off stage, I've killed a few Orcane before they could even Up B with that. He has fantastic horizontal recovery so he can easily make it back after that too, but that also leads it to him being great at edge guarding. Like I said, his aerials are fantastic so he has those. He can also charge up his nspecial by the ledge which is a great tool and he can still do other attacks while at it which gives versatile. His fpsecial is a projectile and when held down at the straihtest possible arc, it has enough power to ko like that. If it's uncharged it has a nnice arc that will go down which can still be hard to avoid, or you can launch with his down special. And while very risky, if you hit an opponent with a down special while they're trying to recover, they pretty much dead. His Dair is basically Greninja's and since wall jumps are pretty important to recovering, it's not too hard to hit with it. Also would just like to mention how his up air is basically Pikachu's and is super easy to hit with and is just really great. His ground game is great as well. His neutral special when not charged can still be used to interrupt the opponent while doing other options making it easy to get a good hit in. His Smash attack when near Sein get powered up making them well very powerful. His Dsmash covers a lot of ground too just making it a very good panic move or easy to catch people with. His Up Smash while not something you'll use too often has good vertical range maming you able to use it below platforms on a lot of stages which is something other characters can'tr really do. His Down Special also gives him an anti projectile too which included Absa's clouds even when stationary which can mess up the opponent's ranging game, though there is time for the opponent to hit you while you're in the redirecting animation, not sure if it's something you can fast forward or not. But really Ori's an amazing character and my new main. Before him I used Absa.
Medli

Postby Shizuku » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks for such an informative response, amiga! Complete with Smash terminology and everything. :mrgreen: Anyway, from what I've seen, it looks like they did Ori justice. A good chunk of his moveset is taken straight from his game, which is always nice for guest characters, especially when they turn out to be good. He's a bit of a puppet fighter since you can position Sein. He's fast and very versatile, too. If I had the game, I'd probably main Absa (I like characters that specialize in range/zoning and she seems fun and looks cool). I also like rushdown characters though, so Maypul would probably be my secondary. Hm, I'd know which I'd prefer if I actually played.
Shizuku

Postby Medli » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:45 am

Sein is such a good edgeguarding tool. I just hope Ori isn't deemed overpowered and nerfed.

Absa's thing is spam ftilt and hope your opponent doesn't know how to parry. Oh and spam Upair whenever your opponent leaves the ground. Absa can be really fun to play though.

Best Maypuls I've fought just abuse the hell out of her upspecial. Just be constantly seeding you and tethering to you and mixing up the angles enough that it's very hard to punish. Maypul does have a great ground game, I think Zetterburn can act as a better rushdown.

Please tell me if you do get it, I'd love to fight.
Medli

Postby KoroSensei » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Loving Rainbow Six: Vegas. My dad and I have been playing all afternoon :lol:
I know it's pretty old, but it's really fun :thumb:
It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby Shizuku » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:30 am

Ys VIII is out. It's a fantastic AJRPG (as niche as the genre is). It's also the first numbered entry in 8 years that isn't a remake or prequel (although chronologically, it takes place before Ys 7's story, but screw it).

KoroSensei wrote:Loving Rainbow Six: Vegas. My dad and I have been playing all afternoon :lol:
I know it's pretty old, but it's really fun :thumb:

Games with solid multiplayer are timeless, bro. :thumb:
"The true mind can weather all lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed."
Shizuku

Postby Shizuku » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Since platform fighters were mentioned on this page, I'd like to bring up Earth Romancer. It looks promising. It's like Smash Bros. meets Guilty Gear meets Touhou, and each character can change their fighting style mid-battle. It combines various elements from different types of fighting games while still being original.

I'd post a link but I can't copy/paste on the Vita, but it's worth a google. It might be right up your alley, Medli.

And on a different (yet similar) note, the new Marvel vs Capcom game is out. It looks fun but it seems lacking. I'm more interested in the upcoming Dragonball Fighter Z. Speaking of which, Android 21 - a character made exclusively for the game - has a cool design. I hope she ends up being playable.
Shizuku

Postby zindra » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:28 am

i guess im the only one in this thread that plays genesis :lol:
zindra

Postby Shizuku » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 pm

zindra wrote:i guess im the only one in this thread that plays genesis :lol:

I doubt it, amiga. Old school Sega games have a lot replay value; I'd play on the Genesis again if I could. Heck, I think people
still make stuff for the Dreamcast. :lol:
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:05 am

That's because the Genesis was terrible. NINTENDO RULEZ :lol:
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby PentacleGoddess » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:27 am

Was unpacking another box the other day and discovered I still have my SNES copy of Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle lying around, lol.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Kaylalovescupcakes » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:36 am

Nah I've still got mine with a whole box of games from when I was a kid. AV cable is missing though so I haven't played it in years. Really been pining for some Cool Spot lately 8)

Anyone into speedrunning? I used to run Dark Souls 1 any% and actually got pretty good at it. Well, I finally got around to fixing a driver issue on my PC that was preventing my PS4 controller from being detected as an input device, and spent all day yesterday running my old route. Not a competitive route whatsoever, but I figured it'd be a good place to start since it's what I was most consistent on back when I was actually good. Route I'm running is Firelink/Catacombs (for Gravelord Sword) -> Quelaag -> Gargoyles -> Ornstein & Smough -> Kiln Glitch -> Gwyn. Unfortunately my runs are pretty much all dying around Anor Londo... I could take a solid few minutes off the route if I was any good at moveset swapping, because then I could do Estoc moveset on Great Club instead of taking the time to run for the GLS. Oh well, just need to practice.
Kaylalovescupcakes

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 am

Not really into doing it myself. I can admire runs that get posted to the various game sites I read but I'd rather just enjoy the games as is. Curious though why you go for the Gravelord Sword instead of getting the fire scythe, though? Seems like it'd be quicker?
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:53 pm

I have just started playing My Summer Car, a car simulation & survival game on Steam which is really more like a 1995 Finnish redneck simulator. A description of the game can't do it justice, so I'll just recount an experience I had:

I spent some time in the garage of my house trying in vain to put the car together, with the seats constantly popping out and making my character swear at all the different spanners there were to screw in everything. I ended up breaking my windshield when I botched a hood installation, pissed on the car, flipped it off, and went to the kitchen and downed a large quantity of beer. I then realized that I was running low on beer and had eaten all of my food. Taking the rest of the beer with me, I staggered my way over to my van, plopped the case of beer in the passenger seat, downed a beer as I started the diesel ignition, and pulled off hoping to make the trip to the grocery store 5km away before they closed, and hopefully without dying.

I immediately got lost and drove on several winding dirt roads through the rural Finnish countryside, flipping the van only a couple of times and pissing myself just as often. After righting the van I continued on my way, the clatter of beer bottles on the floor adding a percussive quality to the Finnish pop music playing on the radio. Eventually I found something that looked like a highway as nightfall came and I swerved across the lanes several times in a drunken haze before I finally was going in the right direction with respect to traffic.

My vision was wobbly and the van careened through the benighted Finnish wilderness, dodging cars, sometimes going off-road for a few seconds, and flipping off other drivers while drunkenly slurring my insults. After a roadside piss that may have hit a few oncoming cars I realized I was totally, hopelessly lost, and worse, it looked like I was out of beer. As I kept driving hoping I could at least find my house or somewhere to pass out until daylight my headlights at the very last second caught a drunken hitchhiker ambling across the highway. With no time to stop, I hit him at 80km/h and he crashed through my windshield, ending up half outside the car and half in the passenger seat. I left the car to assess the damage, but it was pitch dark and I was piss drunk and couldn't see anything, and uncontrollably started to piss myself from sheer intoxication. I went back into the van hoping to figure out something I can do, or at least how to hide the body so the cops wouldn't arrest me, but as if a miracle from God occurred I found one last bottle of beer by complete accident when my mouse hovered over it. I popped that cap off, drank me some liquid courage, and drove on hoping that I could still find town.

Then, I was rear-ended by some other drunk driver while I was pushing 120km the wrong way down the highway. He caused me to spin out of control. As I was righteously flipping him off and swearing in Finnish, I careened off the road and hit a tree head-on, causing me to crash out the windshield and die a violent, bloody death. My fatal car accident was displayed on the local newspaper the next day, and because of the permadeath feature my game save was deleted, meaning I had to start all over.

Best game ever. A+. Actually focusing more on building the car now.
Partially disturbed, totally awesome.
Natasha_Lynn

Location: On a small serene island located in a stygian realm of charnel horror

Postby Shizuku » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. But that... that can't be real, right?

*Learns and reads about game* Holy cow, it's actually a thing. I hope you play without subtitles. :lol:
Shizuku

Postby Shizuku » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:05 pm

This has been a very strong year for video games; all things considered, I think Nier Automata is the best one though.
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:14 pm

YESSSSS FINALLY GOT MY HANDS ON AN SNES CLASSIC, clerk at the local big box grocery store had just happened to put ONE out on the shelf minutes before I walked over. Good timing, got to use birthday money towards it.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Shizuku » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:28 pm

So, Bayonetta 3 is a thing. Awesome.

PentacleGoddess wrote:YESSSSS FINALLY GOT MY HANDS ON AN SNES CLASSIC, clerk at the local big box grocery store had just happened to put ONE out on the shelf minutes before I walked over. Good timing, got to use birthday money towards it.

If you didn't open it yet, feel free to hold onto it until around Christmas, and sell it for like triple the price.

Kidding. Congrats though. :D
"The true mind can weather all lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed."
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Hell, people are so desperate for these things I could sell it used for twice the price, lol.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Bea » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Does anyone play PUBG on Xbox? I could use someone with a mic to play duo with.

I like to win, but not at the expense of fun.
Bea

Postby Shizuku » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 pm

I don't, but the game is popular enough that I'm sure that someone else here plays it.

Anyway, Blazblue Cross Tag Battle is literally a dream come true. A 4-way 2v2 crossover featuring Blazblue, Persona 4, Under Night In-birth, and RWBY? Yes, please. That is a match made in heaven.

Now, I'm sure that most of you never heard of all 4 of those (UNIB in particular is criminally underrated), but this could easily be one of the greatest fighting games of all time.
Shizuku

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Apparently the seed "suckmydick" starts you right next to a village in the latest version of Minecraft. I just found this out because I am a mature adult.
Natasha_Lynn

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm

I miss Minecraft. Wish I could take back giving that fool Notch money for it, buuuuut...
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 am

PentacleGoddess wrote:I miss Minecraft. Wish I could take back giving that fool Notch money for it, buuuuut...

Well if it soothes your conscience at all, Microsoft bought Minecraft and Notch is now, from what I hear, a rather unhappy billionaire. I mean, yeah, a billionaire is a billionaire, but he is an unhappy one.

Then again...
Natasha_Lynn

Postby Phina » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm

WoW, Tabletop RPGs, LARPs, PS4, and PC games.

I can't PM yet, but - fellow Azerothians - feel free to PM me and I'll respond with my battletag when I'm able to!

#nerdflagflying ;)
Phina
New

Postby PentacleGoddess » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:39 am

So I just watched a robot orgy give slimy birth to an android that I proceeded to murder, and then a clone of that android crawled out of the wounds of the first one.

Fuckin' video games.

(Side note: this netted me the "It's a healthy baby boy" achievement)
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Shizuku » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 am

PentacleGoddess wrote:So I just watched a robot orgy give slimy birth to an android that I proceeded to murder, and then a clone of that android crawled out of the wounds of the first one.

Fuckin' video games.

(Side note: this netted me the "It's a healthy baby boy" achievement)

And that's only like... the second level. :lol:

If I had the game, I don't think I'd ever earn the fake ending that involves slaughtering the village of lovable pacifist robot NPCs. Technically, it's one of the easier endings to earn, but I'd feel way too bad doing it. D: TBH Nier trolls players a few times like that; e.g. since the creator thinks trophies are pointless, you can buy them in-game (all while the PS4 takes a screenshot of it).

I hope you manage to stick around for the entire journey (note: there's a few different playthroughs); it's definitely worth it. *******Minor spoiler ahead***** It isn't often that a game asks players to sacrifice all of their save data to help other players beat the game. I appreciate that.
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Haha, holy shit, yeah, I'm probably sticking around for the long haul on this one.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Shizuku » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm

It'll probably be worth it.

The music isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's excellent. A Beautiful Song, Birth of a Wish (and This Cannot Continue), City Ruins - Rays of Light (Dynamic), and Bipolar Nightmare are my favorites. Pascal's Village and the Amusement Park theme are catchy, too. There's 8-bit versions of all of the songs in-game, which is a nice bonus.
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 am

That whole "WE SHALL BE AS GODS" chorus during the segment with the robot cult was creeeepy.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Shizuku » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am

Relevant video to her post: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tykRr71SlAs

Also, the chorus is different if you set the language to Japanese, IIRC. There's a little more dialogue.

You got pretty far on the first playthrough. Next up: cannibalism. O_o

Shizuku wrote:Blazblue Cross Tag Battle is literally a dream come true. A 4-way 2v2 crossover featuring Blazblue, Persona 4, Under Night In-birth, and RWBY? Yes, please. That is a match made in heaven.

Dang, I spoke too soon. Half of the cast is DLC and the game isn't even out yet. That is going to outrage a lot of people, even if the game is going to cost like $40 at launch, if I recall correctly.

I can't believe that they're doing the one thing they shouldn't do. It would've been perfect otherwise.

Anyway, Dragon Ball Fighterz comes out next week. :mrgreen:
Shizuku

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am

I'm right there with you on the music, I love it. Going back to 'Become as Gods', it gave me flashbacks to the opening of Xenogears, lol.

https://youtu.be/8RLf0O8eofU
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Shizuku » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 am

Deus (Yabeh) taking over the Eldridge? Hmm, I knew that 'be as god's' thing seemed familiar. :lol:

Anyway, Platinum games is developing another ARPG. I actually never heard of this until yesterday, but it looks interesting. It's called Granblue Fantasy Project: Re:Link.
Shizuku

Postby Lucy-chan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 am

Ive just got one of those machines that plays 80 megadrive (what the Genesis was called in my ne ck of the woods.)games.

Its got a cartridge slot too....
If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
Lucy-chan

Previous

Return to General Discussion

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm