What are you thinking about right now?

Bulletins, Suggestions, and Non Transgender Topics

Re: What are you thinking about right now?

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:46 pm

...Is it ok if I geek out a little over Greg Proops having now emailed me a few times even if it's due to us disagreeing over a thing? :D
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby ErinJaneway » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 am

[quote="PentacleGoddess"]...Is it ok if I geek out a little over Greg Proops having now emailed me a few times even if it's due to us disagreeing over a thing? :D[/quote]

Please, details? :)
ErinJaneway
New

Postby helen2b » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:14 am

Who is Greg Proops?

Out to kids: Nov. 2015
Legal name changed 09/11/2016
Driver's Lic., Medicare and Bank accounts amended 22/11/2016
Out to work 17/01/2017
Out to siblings 06/03/2017

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your handsome prince.
helen2b

Postby ErinJaneway » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:27 pm

He's the smartest man in the world.

He was on Who's Line is it Anyway for awhile, and I think he might have done a stand up special or two. His podcast with Joe Rogan was pretty good if I recall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g13syFwFwY

I wouldn't expect anyone to listen to a two hour podcast though lol.
ErinJaneway
New

Postby PentacleGoddess » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Yeah, Smartest Man in the World is great stuff, but I wouldn't touch Rogan's podcast with a 10 foot pole at this point. Anyway!

There was an episode of SMitW during the Dem primary where Proops argued basically that people should 'vote for Hillary Clinton because she is a woman'. I emailed him to (politely) disagree at length; his reply was basically "Thanks for your thoughts, we agree to agree". So lol's all around.

Then I'm digging through my emails and I notice he actually emailed me again last month (I'd overlooked it because I get like 15 emails a day to that account and am not always great at going through them all) where he asked me if I "wish she was President now" to which I replied that Yes, of course I do; I voted for her, but that doesn't change my fundamental criticisms of her or the Democratic Party; but further, anyone who wouldn't take even her hawkish centrism over Trumplethinskin is certifiable. That, and as a podcaster I used to listen to put it, I'd rather have spent four years protesting a shitty Democrat than four years helping all of my non-white, non-male, LGBTQ friends escape the country.

His response? "Right??" :lol:

So yeah, not the MOST glamorous thing ever, and I don't think he'll be inviting me to his next barbecue or anything, but still pretty cool chatting with a dude I admire a lot.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Rheya » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:01 pm

My safety razor broke today. It has been with me for some five years so perhaps it was time, just wish it didn't have to crap out on me on a day that I had a meeting. Had to press down on it with my hand and the whole "safety" aspect of the razor was out the window. It's a small miracle I didn't accidentally cut myself open somewhere this morning.
Rheya

Postby Shizuku » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm

I love geek apparel, so redbubble has always been a gold mine. Although I randomly decided to look at a bunch of shirts that have interesting transgender related stuff on them. I feel like mentioning some of the ones that stood out to me. One has a Captain America symbol but instead of red/white/blue its pink/white/blue. Another is a mama bear themed one for supportive parents (*cries internally*). Another is a Zelda themed one. But the last one gave me a good laugh.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/neuroi ... yle=womens

It's a DBZ reference, for those who didn't know. As someone who is still in the beginning stages of physically transitioning, I would SO totally wear the heck out of this.
Shizuku

Postby KoroSensei » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:34 pm

It's a DBZ reference, for those who didn't know. As someone who is still in the beginning stages of physically transitioning, I would SO totally wear the heck out of this.

I love this! Do they have it for men as well?

Side note: I saw an interesting theory that the main character, Danny, in the kids cartoon Danny Phantom is a trans* boy. Thought that would be kinda awesome, since I loved that show as a kid.
It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby Shizuku » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:59 pm

KoroSensei wrote:I love this! Do they have it for men as well?

Side note: I saw an interesting theory that the main character, Danny, in the kids cartoon Danny Phantom is a trans* boy. Thought that would be kinda awesome, since I loved that show as a kid.

IKR?! Yeah, they have one for men, too. You can even pick the color of the shirt and/or get a hoodie version.

Seriously? Mind sharing the link? That sounds interesting, and Danny Phantom was a good show. Haha, I still sing the theme song occasionally.
Shizuku

Postby KoroSensei » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 am

I mainly saw it as random pieces of art and Tumblr posts, but I did find this one fan article that included all of the points people were making.

http://aminoapps.com/page/cartoon/15036 ... ton-theory

Danny Phantom was a good show. Haha, I still sing the theme song occasionally.

I remember getting up really early in the morning just to watch it sometimes! It was one of my favorite shows, that and Ben Ten.

You can even pick the color of the shirt and/or get a hoodie version.

Yes! I am a hoodie lover, so now I definitely need this!
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby kaye is okay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:22 am

The redbubble link reminded me of a site I recently stumbled across called Last Exit to Nowhere that has a lot of movie, TV and music reference t-shirts and stuff. The cool thing is that the references are all in-world, if you get what I mean, referring to the school or business or whatever in the story.

Link: https://www.lastexittonowhere.com/
“I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.”

Augusten Burroughs, Magical Thinking
kaye is okay

Postby kaye is okay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 am

Personally I want a Hawkins National Lab t-shirt. ☢️
“I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.”

Augusten Burroughs, Magical Thinking
kaye is okay

Postby Shizuku » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:30 pm

@kaye: I never heard of that site until now, but I like how authentic it makes fictional works seem. Good find!

@Koro: Thanks for the link. I'll have to add that to my new headcanon. It makes sense in hindsight, so I can imagine it really resonating with some people. Yeah, Ben 10 was another gem around that time.

Hoodies are comfortable, they conceal, and they look nice; it's hard not to love them lol.
Shizuku

Postby KoroSensei » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Why bother buying salad mix at the grocery store, when it gets slimey and gross after two days? I swear.... The quality of some food is just awful.
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby Michi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:33 pm

KoroSensei wrote:Why bother buying salad mix at the grocery store, when it gets slimey and gross after two days? I swear.... The quality of some food is just awful.

Get the better lettuce, it last longer.
Michi

Postby kris » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 pm

I've had my heart broken by the plastic clamshells of salad greens before. The first time I made Christmas dinner, the greens I bought that day were rotted through. I was so upset. Couldn't even go back to the store due to holiday hours.

The main reason I buy arugula is it tends to last longer than other greens. I know some people hate it though. Or at least they hate how overdone it is here.
kris

Postby KoroSensei » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Hectic morning. My dog cut her leg open on a piece of metal, and we had to rush her to the vet. Worried sick about her, but I'm sure she'll be fine.
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby lizaaq » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:56 pm

ugh.

after waiting and healing for a half year, I've come to the conclusion that my ffs will need revision, and probably not from the same doctor, so basically that's 20k eur wasted. I mean there is improvement, just not enough, and I'm not sure I trust him to revise his work after the explanations he gave me for the issues that I brought up.

next surgery is SRS so realistically at least 3 years before I can have ffs with a better surgeon :(
lizaaq

Postby diane » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:16 am

My health insurance is way too pushy for me to get "feminine tests done, AKA pap smear"... They even wanted me to talk to a nurse, and didn't take no for an answer, but took "I don't have the time".
diane

Postby KoroSensei » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Picked my dog up from the vet this morning. No issues, it was a clean cut, so just some stitches and antibiotics. But she keeps chewing them, so now she has to wear the "cone of shame". :lol:
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby KoroSensei » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Oh god..... I got a hold of my friend..... I sent her a message. I'll update everyone when I have news. Wish me luck?
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby Michi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Michi wrote:I'm thinking about becoming an Uber or Lyft driver part time. Anyone have any experience with that? I guess that means I'd have to go back online. I may have to put a dog hair disclaimer.
I got the insurance quote today, $1,111 for six months, paying $660 now. Definitely puts a damper on it.
Michi

Postby diane » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:07 am

One of my relatives does, or did, Uber... He had to go to Chicago to even have a shot at making money with it... and then I don't even know if he considered wear and tear on the vehicle, taxes (that they might not take out but report income?), and insurance.
diane

Postby Michi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:23 pm

diane wrote:One of my relatives does, or did, Uber... He had to go to Chicago to even have a shot at making money with it... and then I don't even know if he considered wear and tear on the vehicle, taxes (that they might not take out but report income?), and insurance.

I just applied for a pizza delivery job, hopefully that pans out. I just need a second job to get caught up for a while. I had the interview at Applebees for a dishwasher. I'm starting to think they are only gender identity EOE on paper since I have a hard to beat application/resume.
Michi

Postby Shizuku » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 am

I am so late, but I started reading Harry Potter for the first time. Growing up, it was forbidden (although my grandma watched some of the movies because she was cool like that), so I never bothered, but now I'm like, "Let's see what all the fuss was about." Not bad so far. Some of this really resonates with me. I probably would've loved it as a kid.
Shizuku

Postby Rheya » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Shizuku wrote:I am so late, but I started reading Harry Potter for the first time. Growing up, it was forbidden (although my grandma watched some of the movies because she was cool like that), so I never bothered, but now I'm like, "Let's see what all the fuss was about." Not bad so far. Some of this really resonates with me. I probably would've loved it as a kid.

That very much reflects my own reaction to Harry Potter. They weren't forbidden to me when I was a kid we just didn't have books or toys when I was young, or food all the time for that matter so priorities were different.

I did see the movies eventually and always thought they were nice. When I tried reading the first book I finished it and that was pretty much my exact feeling: "Not bad so far. Some of this really resonates with me. I probably would've loved it as a kid."

I never kept reading the series. I assume it gets increasingly more suited to an older audience - like the movies I expect the books slowly turn from children's books to YA fiction - but I've never found myself wanting to get back into it; then again, I've never been much for lighter fiction and I don't think I've ever had an interest in a YA book - if the whole of HP counts as YA then I think the first Harry Potter book is the only YA book I've ever actually read.
Rheya

Postby KoroSensei » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:14 pm

I am so late, but I started reading Harry Potter for the first time.

Don't worry 'bout it. :) One of my friends just started reading them too! :lol:
HP is still one of my favorite series. Some of my best memories as a kid, are my mom reading the books aloud to the whole family, while me and my sister would sit at the table and color. I grew up on Harry Potter, so I can't imagine not being allowed to read it. But I do know some kids who's parents wouldn't let them. It's kind of a foreign concept to me; books (or certain books) being forbidden. My parents always encouraged us to read whatever caught our fancy.
I remember reading the Eragon books when I was probably eight or nine. Actually, I remember my sister reading them too me, because they were super difficult for my age, but I still wanted to read what she was reading. :mrgreen:
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby PentacleGoddess » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:00 am

Shizuku wrote:I am so late, but I started reading Harry Potter for the first time. Growing up, it was forbidden (although my grandma watched some of the movies because she was cool like that), so I never bothered, but now I'm like, "Let's see what all the fuss was about." Not bad so far. Some of this really resonates with me. I probably would've loved it as a kid.

Much like the films, the books get a good deal better from the third one on. Imo, anyway.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Rheya » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 am

I'm so sick of the word "offended". Yes, sometimes people do get offended by something that is not inherently offensive, or something just came out wrong or in a weird context that was not anticipated and the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

But a lot of the time people who are "offended" are people who are upset - fucking pissed - because some piece of shit insulted them. Some asshole hurled verbal abuse towards a person or some group of people. That doesn't make those people offended, it's not they're fault they are upset - it's that person's fault for being a piece of shit asshole who thinks it's okay to verbally abuse people and be a racist/misogynist/homo-/transphobe. Blaming the people you insult for being pissed is like blaming people for feeling pain when they're stabbed.

Ugh, sorry, had to get this off my mind.
Rheya

Postby Ashley@Heart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Rheya wrote:Ugh, sorry, had to get this off my mind.

Rant away!
-Carolyn

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting.”
― e.e. commings
Ashley@Heart

Postby diane » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:45 pm

I "self published" a book because it would never be given the type/size.... really, don't care what happens to it (don't even remember if I said this here yet)... it's just there because "why not".
diane

Postby Kidagakash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCuR-GUlJzM
"Easy Street" by The Collapsable Hearts Club.
I can't get this song out of my head! I listened to it for an hour straight to get psyched up for a job interview today. BTW, I GOT THE JOB!! XD :D :D :D
Kidagakash

Postby Ileni » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 am

[quote="Rheya"]I'm so sick of the word "offended" <rant away> Ugh, sorry, had to get this off my mind.[/quote]

YES. I can relate to that and it coincides with what i was thinking earlier this morning. THX.
Ileni
New

Postby Ellebella » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:16 am

In thinking about the crazy workload I have today, I have to drop off toilets all across the county. And how am I going to fix the water pump on our third truck
Ellebella
New

Postby Shizuku » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 am

KoroSensei wrote:Don't worry 'bout it. :) One of my friends just started reading them too! :lol:
HP is still one of my favorite series. Some of my best memories as a kid, are my mom reading the books aloud to the whole family, while me and my sister would sit at the table and color. I grew up on Harry Potter, so I can't imagine not being allowed to read it. But I do know some kids who's parents wouldn't let them. It's kind of a foreign concept to me; books (or certain books) being forbidden. My parents always encouraged us to read whatever caught our fancy.
I remember reading the Eragon books when I was probably eight or nine. Actually, I remember my sister reading them too me, because they were super difficult for my age, but I still wanted to read what she was reading. :mrgreen:

Heh, it's good to know that I'm not the only person out there who's late to all of this. xD Wow, that sounds awesome, and I'm sure that you're better off because of it. I was prevented from reading (and watching/learning about) many things that caught my interest, so I did it in secret every once in a while and felt ashamed and whatnot. My siblings didn't mind the strictness, so I was a bit of a black sheep. Even if I wasn't always punished, my mom was disappointed that I liked the type of things that I liked (the only thing I should've been reading for fun was suppose to be the Bible). Things got more lenient the older I became, but by then I was so distant from the rest of them I was basically a stranger. Plus I lost interest in dang near everything.

@Rheya: I'm sorry to hear about that. Also, you're older now so it makes sense that you don't care much about reading stuff aimed at young folk. Personally, I'll read anything so long as its well-written. Heck, all this HP talk makes me want to finish reading Lemony Snicket lol.

PentacleGoddess wrote:Much like the films, the books get a good deal better from the third one on. Imo, anyway.

Really? Cool. I'll definitely take your word for it. Speaking of the films, are they any good?
Shizuku

Postby helen2b » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:22 am

This is a picture of the Easter cake my great-niece made. So proud of her for making it LGBT friendly (note the ears and bow-tie). :) Happy Easter everyone.

Out to kids: Nov. 2015
Legal name changed 09/11/2016
Driver's Lic., Medicare and Bank accounts amended 22/11/2016
Out to work 17/01/2017
Out to siblings 06/03/2017

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your handsome prince.
helen2b

Postby hollyre » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:32 am

What my wife did,did my hair putting in dreadlocks and I love them.Does this and said she wanted to do something nice for me.Also did put in hair extensions in my daughter's hair and she loves them.The hair extensions are the permanent hair extensions.Daughter is transgendered as well and wanted longer hair.
hollyre
New

Postby Kidagakash » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:37 pm

^_^
Kidagakash

Postby Michi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Michi wrote:
diane wrote:One of my relatives does, or did, Uber... He had to go to Chicago to even have a shot at making money with it... and then I don't even know if he considered wear and tear on the vehicle, taxes (that they might not take out but report income?), and insurance.

I just applied for a pizza delivery job, hopefully that pans out. I just need a second job to get caught up for a while. I had the interview at Applebees for a dishwasher. I'm starting to think they are only gender identity EOE on paper since I have a hard to beat application/resume.

No idea why I wrote Applebees. It was the Olive Garden. Celebrating my mom's birthday today, guess where she wanted to go? At the front we talked to the manager that interviewed me two weeks ago who ignored me. After the interview I walked around the back in the lot over to where I was parked and it seemed the two managers were laughing, probably at me. :x I'm still looking for the second job, hopefully something comes up soon. I did send in an application to a drag bar/restaurant in Milwaukee (Hamburger Mary's) but I haven't heard anything. It was kind of odd, they wanted my Social Security number on the application.
Michi

Postby diane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:16 am

Michi wrote:....... I did send in an application to a drag bar/restaurant in Milwaukee (Hamburger Mary's) but I haven't heard anything. It was kind of odd, they wanted my Social Security number on the application.

I actually hate it when they ask for my SSN... They don't freaking need it! Some places do a credit check (which again, doesn't tell them crap for how you'd work--not having a job = credit score lowering for most people unless bill-less). But yeah, unless they hire you, most places don't need a SSN---yet virtually every place asks for it before you're even hired... or interviewed...
diane

Postby PentacleGoddess » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Shizuku wrote:Really? Cool. I'll definitely take your word for it. Speaking of the films, are they any good?

I think they're excellent. At least, again, from Prisoner of Azkaban on. Myself, I actually watched the first film before I read the books at all; and it was fortunate that a friend convinced me to read the series anyway, because if the first movie was all I had to go on, I would not have stuck with it.

See, imo, with maybe one or two exceptions, Chris Columbus is a HORRIBLE director. He doesn't know what to do with a camera and he certainly seemingly has little vested interest in making something that works as a film; especially as regards the film versions of Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets. You'll often hear hardcore HP fans go on about how much more 'faithful' to their respective source material the first two films are, which is true; they are both rote, paint-by-number affairs that bring pretty much nothing to the table and are filled with a trio of main characters who really can't act all that well yet, which doesn't help affairs.

When Alfonso Cuaron takes over for PoK though, things really take off. The kids start dressing like, y'know, actual kids. The wizarding world starts feeling like a place that could *actually* exist. There are so many little touches that bring a new tone and feel to things. And yeah, the rest of the films have a couple dangling plot bits that don't get resolved that well, and they don't follow the books exactly, but they capture the spirit and the feel and the character development so much better than anything Columbus would have inflicted on the franchise later on.

Movies with Mikey - Prisoner of Azkaban

The above is SPOILER HEAVY, so be forewarned. Well worth a watch, though.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Rheya » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am

I agree that the films really get going with Alfonso, but they also went down a fair bit towards the end. The last two two-parter movies are fairly tedious at times. The last two movies were the only ones that really made me want to read the books, the movies left me feeling like I missed out on something.

Prizoner of Azkaban is easily the best of the HP movies. If only for that one scene when Oldman and David Thewlis is in the same room (don't want to spoil anything) - now THAT was magical. Then again every HP movie is worth watching just for the scenes with Maggie Smith or Rickman in them.
Rheya

Postby Shizuku » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:14 pm

I heard that even the author reads Snape's dialogue in Rickman's voice; from what little I have seen from a couple of short clips, they struck gold when they casted him.

And thanks for the input, amigas. Now I'm more excited to catch up.

@Helen: Late reply, but that cake is so adorable! Happy belated Easter.
Shizuku

Postby KoroSensei » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 pm

This article, literally described my whole life in a nutshell.

https://the-orbit.net/zinniajones/2013/ ... dysphoria/
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby Rheya » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

PentacleGoddess wrote:Movies with Mikey - Prisoner of Azkaban

The above is SPOILER HEAVY, so be forewarned. Well worth a watch, though.

I just have to say that this channel is fantastic. I've never seen or heard about it before and I've watched way too many videos of his today. Almost everything I watch on youtube is educational stuff or video essays and this fella is video essay gold, easily up there with Nerdwriter or Every Frame a Painting.
Rheya

Postby KoroSensei » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 pm

I made sweet potato gnocchi for the first time today. It was so good, I'm definitely going to try making different kinds!
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby Lenneth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:15 pm

currently in mental turmoil trying to help a friend a long ways away (2400 miles) sort out some major problems (loosing housing and possibly HRT) in a short timeframe....(by the 1st)
"Their is no Such thing as a "Stupid Question" Especially if someone learns something from either the Question or the Answer"

Certified Space Sim Addict 8-)
Lenneth

Postby kris » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:24 pm

It's one of the difficulties we often face. We don't just deal with what we can or cannot do for ourselves, but also those feelings of helplessness when we see others struggling.

Is your friend able to stock up on more medication before hand? Or is it pretty much after this script runs up, that may be it?
kris

Postby Rheya » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Is there any group or circle of people you can reach out too? Where I live there are a fair few of us and then some of us know others so if someone has problems with getting their meds we can pool a bit or ask around within general circles. If that makes any sense.
Rheya

Postby Lenneth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

kris wrote:Is your friend able to stock up on more medication before hand? Or is it pretty much after this script runs up, that may be it?

what she has I believe is it.

Rheya wrote:Is there any group or circle of people you can reach out too? Where I live there are a fair few of us and then some of us know others so if someone has problems with getting their meds we can pool a bit or ask around within general circles. If that makes any sense.

have tried, not finding anything, it is more of a transportation issue with the meds, she doesn't have a car and currently doesn't have a valid DL....
"Their is no Such thing as a "Stupid Question" Especially if someone learns something from either the Question or the Answer"

Certified Space Sim Addict 8-)
Lenneth

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm