Changing Gender ID on documents. Contraindications?

General Transgender Support

Changing Gender ID on documents. Contraindications?

Postby rogersmithiii » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:59 am

Attended First Event, and attended a lecture on changing name and gender identifier on documents like drivers license, birth certificate, passport etc.

I'm MTF. Live in the USA. On hormones since 2005. Saw a gender therapist for 12 years, but not with one now. Out to friends, family, and customers. Still working on beard. If I'm going out to an event, I present female, and pass easily. If I'm hacking around town, the house, or going to certain customer sites that don't approve, I present mixed gender - long hair, earrings, male clothing, boobs (due to hormones) and male body language. Out in public, I don't get aggravation either way.

Not interested in men as partners. Attracted to cis-women. Not interested in surgery. I'm not bothered by having a penis. I can hide it under any clothing.

No one ever looks at my gender ID, and the name I typically go by is gender neutral. If I change my gender marker and name to female, I think this will provide some protection in the area of bathrooms, in case the new administration does something stupid, and rolls back trans protections. I don't anticipate any problems if I go into a men's room while presenting gender neutral with female documentation.

The only issues I see revolve around marriage. If I change my gender ID to F, and want to marry a woman, and they ban gay marriage, I can't legally get married.

I also see some possible issues with TSA and flying, but if I present female while flying, I don't see any issues beyond the usual TSA nonsense.

Are there any other drawbacks to making these changes that I'm missing?

Thanks
rogersmithiii
New

Re: Changing Gender ID on documents. Contraindications?

Postby MikiSJ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:20 pm

rogersmithiii wrote:The only issues I see revolve around marriage. If I change my gender ID to F, and want to marry a woman, and they ban gay marriage, I can't legally get married.

I also see some possible issues with TSA and flying, but if I present female while flying, I don't see any issues beyond the usual TSA nonsense.

Are there any other drawbacks to making these changes that I'm missing?
I am starting the name/gender change this week. I have a VA PhD Psychologist who will sign my letter and I need to find the $480 filing fee (bummer).

Your question regarding marriage is not to be simply dismissed. While I believe that Stare Decisis will keep Obergefell v. Hodges intact, there is that small chance it will be overturned and returned to the states for rules. I believe it was Texas that held, before the Obergefell v. Hodges ruling that a gay marriage legal in one state but not legal in Texas could not be adjudicated as a dissolution in Texas. (Eff them damn conundrums).

As for passport and other federal documents, I have to believe there would be way too much internal pushback to roll back changes already made.

Come to California. I can show you what dams may break and where to live and keep you dry - and mostly safe.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby helen2b » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:36 am

I know it will probably never happen, but if through some unfortunate set of events, you get sent to the Big House, you want to be sure you go to the correct one.

Out to kids: Nov. 2015
Legal name changed 09/11/2016
Driver's Lic., Medicare and Bank accounts amended 22/11/2016
Out to work 17/01/2017
Out to siblings 06/03/2017

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your handsome prince.
helen2b

Postby kris » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 am

MikiSJ wrote:I am starting the name/gender change this week. I have a VA PhD Psychologist who will sign my letter and I need to find the $480 filing fee (bummer).

Pricy. At least when it's done it's done. Well, aside from all the other places it likely needs to be updated. I've only gotten as far as birth certificate, work, insurance and driver's license, but the rest (apart from passport) aren't as much of a rush. Hope the bureaucracy goes smoothly for you.
kris

Postby MikiSJ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:09 am

$480 is only for the county probate court filing fee. Different county for birth cert change, California Dept of Statistics, D/L change, passport change, military separation change my double that amount.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby ChaosEverafter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:16 am

helen2b wrote:I know it will probably never happen, but if through some unfortunate set of events, you get sent to the Big House, you want to be sure you go to the correct one.

changing your gender marker but not having had downstairs surgery wont send you to the correct one, at least in america.
Misandry isn't real. Please come back to reality. It'll be okay.
ChaosEverafter

Postby kris » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Canada is a bit hit or miss on that at the moment too. The PM recently stated that inmates should be sorted by gender identity, but the corrections system doesn't seem to know how to correctly put that into effect. It seems to be managed ad hoc.

So, try not to go to prison in Canada either for the time being. I hope, some time in the near future, I can freely invite all of you to be incarcerated in Canada without fear of being sent to the wrong facilities!

No, wait, that ain't right.
kris

Postby ChloeScott » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:44 pm

I started me documentation change late last year and received my court decree on Dec. 1st. That was $319 in AZ, plus a few other smaller fees. The SS and updated AZ Driver's licenses I don't recall costing anything but I could be remembering wrong. I just got my corrected California birth certificate the other day, I think that my passport is the only thing remaining.

Regarding some of your questions: I don't see the administration overturning gay rights to marriage so I think that you'll be ok there no matter what direction you go, but consider that we already know that there are now nuts in control of everything and they're likely to undo many of the gains that we've made. That wasn't my main reason for doing this but it is definitely an important one.

Changing your legal name is full of unexpected things that you'd need to take note of. All creditors, banks, service providers, mortgage co., city and county gov., etc., will need to be notified, as will the credit reporting bureaus. All of this stuff takes time and money, so be prepared for that. There's probably a guide published somewhere detailing the steps and requirements for your state.

Changing your gender marker is a personal choice and one that I can't advise you on. It was VERY VERY important for me, seeing that "F" on my driver's license, or the "Female" on my new birth certificate. It doesn't really effect much except your own view and what the law might look at in certain circumstances. Not all states will allow it though so you'll need to do your research if that's the direction you want to pursue.

I have gotten all of my documents done and can legally pee in any ladies room in North Carolina that I want too. I'd like to see them try to stop me now.

Good luck with whatever decisions you decide to make and please keep us posted.

Chloe
ChloeScott
Regular

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 am

ChloeScott wrote:...I don't see the administration overturning gay rights to marriage so I think that you'll be ok there no matter what direction you go, but consider that we already know that there are now nuts in control of everything and they're likely to undo many of the gains that we've made. That wasn't my main reason for doing this but it is definitely an important one.

I am not a 'chicken little' type of person (sorry Illy!) and while I believe(?) that the SCOTUS won't overturn LGB...T themselves, there has been a back room movement for the last couple of decades to get past the 2/3 requirements of the states to force a constitutional convention.

While a constitutional convention will probably be convened for a narrow set of issues - it is entirely possible for our entire Constitution to be rewritten. REWRITTEN!!!!

Think about it:

christian law is supreme
    property rights are supreme
    limited free speech
    pay as you go health care and if you can't pay...you go
    no pollution laws
    LGB...T - the letters are removed from the alphabet
    fill in your horror!

I realize I may be way over the top with my concerns, but look at what happened in the birth place of civilization - Mesopotamia.

Persia traded a despicable un-human shah for a cruel Islamic dictator Ruhollah Khomeini ruling Iran. Pay attention before deciding what color panties you were today is taken away.
MikiSJ

Return to Transgender Discussion

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm