Monopolies

Activism, Civil Rights, Debate, Theory, and Research

Monopolies

Postby lisagurl » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:18 am

Amazon, with its purchase of the Whole Foods supermarket chain and the construction of brick-and-mortar stores, pursues the breathtakingly lucrative strategy of parlaying a monopoly position online into an offline one, too.

We need to break up these online monopolies because if a few people make the decisions about how we communicate, shop, learn the news, again, do we control our own society?
NYT

We have a failed government that is not enforcing the monopoly laws. Part of the reason is the government itself takes advantage of being a monopoly to force its will on people. This conflicts with the liberty, freedom and rights our government was founded on.
lisagurl

Re: Monopolies

Postby CeliaEriksson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 am

I love Amazon. They are really quick if you buy their amazon assured products, they accept returns with no quibble. I get stuff that's difficult to find anywhere else, preventing the waste of my treasured shopping time. I recommend Amazon very much. Celia xx
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby lisagurl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:25 pm

On April 15, 2014, MGM Resorts International and Hakkasan Group announced the formation of a joint venture hotel management company, to be named MGM HAKKASAN Hospitality.[187] The strategic alliance focuses on the design, development and management of luxury and upper upscale non-gaming hotels, resorts and residential offerings under the Bellagio, Hakkasan, MGM Grand and SKYLOFTS brands in key international gateway cities and prime resort destinations across the globe. All of the hotel and resort projects currently under development by each group will be contributed to the joint venture, including MGM projects in the Americas, Middle East, and Asia, and Hakkasan projects in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Projects in China will continue to be developed and operated by Diaoyutai MGM Hospitality.

China business interests are trying to take over the huge MGM entertainment business that markets much of what influences the public. The Los Vegas splash could be a planned influencer including the Weinstein Company to the international monopoly game.
lisagurl

Postby CeliaEriksson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Is that the same MGM that made all them great films, with the Lion and all? I like them. And I loved the way that my hero, Mary Tyler Moore parodied that with the kitten mewing in an MGM type Lion way. Ooh, I LOVE holidays in hotels, I hope they build lots more with the Chinese! Great going, long live capitalism! Who wants to stay in skanky independent hovels, with bedbugs and stuff, not me, let the professionals do their stuff!
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby lisagurl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Then do not complain about low wages and discrimination. When the corporations have control over your survival I hope you have plenty of stock to profit from.
lisagurl

Postby lisagurl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:17 pm

If you control public communication you can control the way people think and how they behave.

WP
lisagurl

Postby PentacleGoddess » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:28 am

Wait, Amazon buys Whole Paycheck, so that's the slippery slope of a monopoly? A niche grocery store chain for people with more money than common sense?

I mean, I was going to make some joke about preferring the dog to the car, but this is just some serious Chicken Little-ing here. When Amazon starts making moves to buy up Meijer, Walmart, and Aldi's, then we can start freaking out.

Side note though, I can't tell if Celia is doing a pitch perfect parody, or if she is really that scarily acquiescent to corporations...
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby lisagurl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:32 am

Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick has retained a lawyer and filed a grievance claim saying that NFL owners colluded to keep him from being signed to a team.

NYT

Corporations and industrial groups could to control market and the population. For example "The Informant: A True Story" In my own town the small business owner is put out of business by corporations selling below cost till they have no competition. This has been done by Walmart and other industry groups such as Home Depot and Lowes. The back bone of capitalism is individual ownership. This is not possible when the billion dollar businesses use their money to force small ownership out of business with laws and regulations.

The drug industry industrial groups just spent 100 million to lobby and end to the effective enforcement of laws controlling opioid drugs. The Senator that pushed the new legislation is now in line for the job as head of the FDA. Now I am against regulation that takes responsibility away from the individual. But when people believe it is government protecting them they do not protect themselves.
lisagurl

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 pm

lisagurl you are a gatling gun of bad posts.
Partially disturbed, totally awesome.
Natasha_Lynn

Location: On a small serene island located in a stygian realm of charnel horror

Postby lisagurl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 am

Natasha_Lynn wrote:lisagurl you are a gatling gun of bad posts.

Subjective perception varies among every individual. Do you understand justice?
lisagurl

Postby zoetrope » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 pm

lisagurl wrote:
Natasha_Lynn wrote:lisagurl you are a gatling gun of bad posts.

Subjective perception varies among every individual. Do you understand justice?

I missed you so much Lisa.
As you get older, you don't get wiser. You get irritable. - Doris Lessing

Dywed yn dda am dy gyfaill, am dy elyn dywed ddim.
zoetrope

Return to Politics, Philosophy, and Science

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm