Very sad. Transgender woman commits suicide.

Activism, Civil Rights, Debate, Theory, and Research

Very sad. Transgender woman commits suicide.

Postby DawnF » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Looking at her, I would have not thought anything but that she was a completely biological woman:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3463104/t ... ds-prison/

Very sad; I thought that the UK was more sensitive to people's needs. Seems like a lot of people in jail/prison commit suicide within the UK.
DawnF

Re: Very sad. Transgender woman commits suicide.

Postby MikiSJ » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 pm

DawnF wrote:Looking at her, I would have not thought anything but that she was a completely biological woman:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3463104/t ... ds-prison/

Very sad; I thought that the UK was more sensitive to people's needs. Seems like a lot of people in jail/prison commit suicide within the UK.

No one deserves the need to kill themselves and the article is very weak on the reasons Vikki Thompson killed herself.
Mr Leach said that Miss Thompson had identified as female since she was 10 years old but had never had any surgical or hormone treatment.
The coroner said that she did not have a Gender Recognition Certificate establishing her female identity so she was sent to a male prison.
Mr Leach also outlined some of the extensive drug, alcohol, mental health and other problems Miss Thompson had experienced in her life.

I can't blame the UK prison officials for placing her in a male prison, but she obviously needed special treatment to keep her away from the predators that are found in any prison, male or female.
We, as transfolk, are at risk for many factors, suicide being one of the worst. We, as a society, have yet to embrace mental health as something to be reckoned with and much of our society sees anything to do with an individual's mental health as a failure of the person.

Much of society is and will always be confused about transgender and much of society (too often the same part of society) will always think of mental illness as a personal problem the individual should be able to solve simply by 'being strong'.

Incidences of suicide, like what happened to Vikki Thompson, will always be with us - sadly, we will never be able to stop all of it. But, we should try.

I had a annual physical with my VA primary care physician last month and when he brought up my chronic depression he noted that the number of Vietnam era veterans who have committed suicide has exceed the number of soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who lost their lives on the battlefield.
Suicide, whether by a transwoman or man without resources, a veteran who has trouble with PTSD or some other soul who has run out of options or hope is an epidemic run amok. We will never solve this epidemic until we recognize that without resources provided without guilt, will we even begin to slow this epidemic.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby DawnF » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 pm

I can understand this happening in the US but I was under the impression that the UK was more sensitive to transgenders. No doubt this is true but the whole incident is still just crazy. At least it was in the news, though. Of course, even though I didn't know her at all, it's so heart-breaking.
DawnF

Postby CeliaEriksson » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:58 pm

it is a story form some time ago, I remember it at the time. She should have been placed in a female prison and if I recall it was on the cards for her for that to happen. Twas very sad and she was a very pretty lass. RIP Vikki.
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Return to Politics, Philosophy, and Science

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm