Well, fuck! It is official.

Activism, Civil Rights, Debate, Theory, and Research

Well, fuck! It is official.

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Trump Signs Memo Banning New Transgender Service Members

This is not a complete failure on Trump's part. The Sec Dev can still keep transfolk he believes are essential to the military.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Re: Well, fuck! It is official.

Postby helen2b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Anyone heard from , Glitch? Is she ok? I can't imagine how she must be feeling at the moment.
Last edited by helen2b on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Out to kids: Nov. 2015
Legal name changed 09/11/2016
Driver's Lic., Medicare and Bank accounts amended 22/11/2016
Out @ work 17/01/2017
Out to siblings 06/03/2017
BA...13/07/2017

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your handsome prince.
helen2b

Postby helen2b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Glitch, if you're reading this, try for Australian citizenship. We're building 10 french designed submarines for the Royal Australian Navy and we'd be proud to have you serve here.

Out to kids: Nov. 2015
Legal name changed 09/11/2016
Driver's Lic., Medicare and Bank accounts amended 22/11/2016
Out @ work 17/01/2017
Out to siblings 06/03/2017
BA...13/07/2017

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your handsome prince.
helen2b

Postby MikiSJ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:12 am

Glitch hasn't been here since 12.24.2016. Too long to be at sea. I just hope she wasn't getting her internet traffic surveilled.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby lisagurl » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:56 am

Do you think it is efficient use of the taxpayer money to pay for transition costs? Why do you think insurance companies back away? Could it be that many of the tax payers and rate payers have moral problems with changing genders and think it is a sin to support such actions.

The very reason democracies fail for more than one tribe is because of different cultures.
lisagurl

Postby marie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Well it works in most European countries and no one objects to taxpayers money being used. So why not in the US?

Hopefully the loophole that allows the military to decide whether or not a transgender person is some form of liability will be used to demonstrate that there is no issue with serving in the military and being transgender. In fact we already know this to be true. The British have a transgender pilot in service among others.

Let's be clear this is not about reducing costs and keeping the military efficient. This is pure discrimination against TG people. It won't be the end of it either, next being gay will be an issue and then being a woman.

One thing for sure, any attempt by the military to discharge anyone who is transgender will be blocked legally. Apart from it being morally repugnant. Plus the whole idea that transgender recruits can be stopped from enlisting is silly. Will there be a form where you have to swear you're not TG on joining. What are they going to do? Ask potential recruits to pass a gender test?

Trump is a vile person. We all knew that. But his days are numbered and he is an object lesson that no country is safe from domination from oppression and evil not even the USA.

Freedom is not a given. Sometimes it has to be fought for.
marie

Postby lisagurl » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:06 pm

I had my operation in Thailand and a few Americans were out numbered by the British and Europeans. It seems heath care is rationed and takes years to get approval and get the care. I lived in Europe and would not recommend the cultures that are being threatened by those that disagree. The grass is not greener.

Many come to the U.S. to start companies because of the high taxes in Europe.

A for the military I doubt many recruits are happy with their choice. Many do it for college money and the case of transgender the medical costs. There is no freedom under military law. Gender does make a difference in physical abilities. "More than 85 percent of women fail Marines' fitness test for combat posts"

My belief is that every citizen spend a year in government service that fits their abilities. Morals are individual as it is ethics that make it to laws.
The logic also applies to prison that is not gender neutral. The government is 20 trillion in debt with 200 trillion in unfunded obligations for the taxpayer to dig into their pockets to pay. One of the biggest costs are retired military health care and disability. Resources are limited and like in Europe people leave when taxes are too much.
lisagurl

Postby MikiSJ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:53 pm

lisagurl wrote:Do you think it is efficient use of the taxpayer money to pay for transition costs?

Probably not! But then sending an F-35 pilot over enemy territory and having a $100 million plane plus the millions in training cost lost to a SAM or manufacturing error is also not efficient.

Having 4 guided missile cruisers ram or be rammed in the last 6 months by commercial sea traffic because ill-trained crews were not paying attention is not efficient. Losing 17 sailors' lives and millions in repair costs to bad training is not efficient.

What is efficient is identifying individuals (I'll raise my hand here) with superior intelligence who want to make a career from naval or air or ground or Marine service and who may want to participate in very expensive training in exchange for medical assistance in achieving a life's goal.

Or, maybe we would be willing to invest in a soldier or Marine who is willing to walk point in Afghanistan and risk losing all of her or his legs, arms, life to a bullet or IED in exchange for medical assistance in achieving a life's goal.

We could simply not order 10 M1A2 tanks at $9 million each and pay for all of the militaries transfolk for a lot yof ears. No, we have a contractor lobbying Congress to spend more money on tanks to increase our current inventory of 4,500 M1A2 tanks, the greatest majority being stuck away in some yard never seeing any kind of action. That is what is inefficient. Not the medical cost of military transfolk.
lisagurl wrote:Why do you think insurance companies back away?

Please explain the purpose of an organization whose sole purpose is to take as much money from an insured member, pay off administrators, lop off an unnecessary profit and pay as little as possible to a health provider or pharmaceutical supplier. I am prepared to debate the unnecessary need for medical insurance companies until all of the M1A2 tanks come home.

Much of the western world functions quite nicely without insurance companies and in fact, much of the population of the U.S. is serviced very nicely by the non-profit government run Medicare and Veterans Administration Healthcare systems. I am a member of both organizations and I would not trade either provider for anything else.
lisagurl wrote:Could it be that many of the tax payers and rate payers have moral problems with changing genders and think it is a sin to support such actions.

I have moral problems with much of what my Government does with my tax and rates I pay. I would prefer not to have to buy any more M1A2 tanks, but we will.
lisagurl wrote:The very reason democracies fail for more than one tribe is because of different cultures.

The reasons most democracies fail is a small group manages to game the system for their personal gain and consolidate power and wealth for the few. Effective democracies eventually fail when the governed no longer have a voice in how they are governed. Too much input into the democratic process does not contribute to failure - quite the contrary. The less input there is, the more the power to govern is consolidated and a democracy ends up in failure.

You need to stop listening to those who want to divvy up our nation into tribes so they can pit one tribe against another. You have little idea of the concept of tribes and why the oligarchs and technoarchs and any of the other -archs want to create them.
MikiSJ

Postby lisagurl » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 pm

I am sorry you had a military experience as our schools do not provide an education but rather turn out worker/consumers. Over a million got suckered into Vietnam because they did not read books such as " Public Opinion" by Walter Lippman. The CIA provides the propaganda to manipulate young minds just as ISIS does. The media has its agenda also. No matter how much military equipment is made to keep the economy going gullible young people will be recruited. How many lives were destroyed by the draft boards by the old men passing judgement on a naive youth.

The truth came back with those that experienced the lies and folly of a military used to enhance economics.

This is also an absurd example of government out of tune with reality. "A gun range in Riverside, California, held its last “Ladies Day,” which allowed women to shoot at the range for free, on Thursday after receiving a threat of a potential lawsuit.

Behind the legal threat
According to a Facebook post by the NRA Members’ Councils of California, Riverside Magnum Range received a letter from an Orange County man who felt his civil rights were violated." Another left coast emotional distraction.

You have only rights that are enforceable by humans for nature gives you no rights. The VA medical care is an insurance provided by the taxpayer. It is far from being the care that competition can provide. Government workers have little incentive to do their best. Again Wars are an example of Government mismanagement.
The idea is to not buy or need insurance as to provide your own safety net to survive. But the trained consumer is going into debt buying things they do not need to survive. The Government has set the example and got brainwashed people fighting to support their folly.

We do not need tanks if the media did not cry about civilian deaths in military war that the enemy does not care about. But you see economic growth depends on making new things. Planned obsolescence is pessary to keep consumers in debt so they can be controlled. But the government just uses inflation to tax and make more war equipment to be destroyed as they need to pay workers so they can consume also.

Those that convince young people to fight always get the power and wealth. It is the fault of those that follow orders that fuel the inequity of wealth. But you see lack of knowledge and ability to understand the facts from the fantasy requires turning off emotions and require hard core evidence not just hearsay.

When organizations get too big the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. To be happy people should work at what makes them happy. Quitting your job when you win the lottery is evidence that you do not like your job and that you think money can buy you happiness.

" The Wisdom of Frugality: Why Less Is More - More or Less" Try philosophy rather than emotional trying.
lisagurl

Postby MikiSJ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:04 pm

lisagurl wrote:I am sorry you had a military experience as our schools do not provide an education but rather turn out worker/consumers.

Why are you sorry. I enlisted in 1963, before Vietnam was much of a news items. I joined the Navy because of my love of the sea and ships.

It is obvious your school let you down as the confusion in your statement makes it quite clear you have difficulty in tying two dissimilar thoughts together.
lisagurl wrote:This is also an absurd example of government out of tune with reality. "A gun range in Riverside, California, held its last “Ladies Day,” which allowed women to shoot at the range for free, on Thursday after receiving a threat of a potential lawsuit.

Behind the legal threat
According to a Facebook post by the NRA Members’ Councils of California, Riverside Magnum Range received a letter from an Orange County man who felt his civil rights were violated." Another left coast emotional distraction.

I am lost as to the inclusion of this non sequitur.

BTW, Orange County, while located in California and certainly on the coast, is hardly part of the 'left coast' you apparently dislike. Orange County is a center of right-wing thought, and your inability to understand the irony of including this 'item' is, well, ironical.
lisagurl wrote:You have only rights that are enforceable by humans for nature gives you no rights.

I thought natural law and libertarianism went together.
lisagurl wrote:The VA medical care is an insurance provided by the taxpayer. It is far from being the care that competition can provide.

Oh, ignorant one. I live in an area, The Bay Area with two nationally ranked VA hospitals, San Francisco and Palo Alto. The Bay Area is also home to the University of California, San Francisco a superior teaching hospital that shares doctors and facilities with the VA hospital. Additionally, Stanford Hospital is a short bike ride to the VA Palo Alto hospital facility and again, each hospital shares doctors and facilities.

I have received care at UCSF, Stanford Hospital and the VA Palo Alto facilities. The care I have received is indistinguishable among the facilities - it is superb in all respects.

The VA, as opposed to Medicare, is not an insurance provided by the taxpayer. It is a hospital and medical care system providing medical care to military veterans. It is something I, and several other members here, earned by serving in our military. Let me repeat that statement: It is something I, and several other members here, earned by serving in our military.
lisagurl wrote:The idea is to not buy or need insurance as to provide your own safety net to survive. But the trained consumer is going into debt buying things they do not need to survive. The Government has set the example and got brainwashed people fighting to support their folly.

We do not need tanks if the media did not cry about civilian deaths in military war that the enemy does not care about. But you see economic growth depends on making new things. Planned obsolescence is pessary to keep consumers in debt so they can be controlled. But the government just uses inflation to tax and make more war equipment to be destroyed as they need to pay workers so they can consume also.

Those that convince young people to fight always get the power and wealth. It is the fault of those that follow orders that fuel the inequity of wealth. But you see lack of knowledge and ability to understand the facts from the fantasy requires turning off emotions and require hard core evidence not just hearsay.

When organizations get too big the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. To be happy people should work at what makes them happy. Quitting your job when you win the lottery is evidence that you do not like your job and that you think money can buy you happiness.

I am going to stop here to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are so stoned that you have lost all ability to hold a reasoned and reasonable conversation.
MikiSJ

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:41 am

Holy shit Miki. This thread, if only I had the ability to post a proper gif right now... beautiful.

I would just raise this, not as a point of contention but because I think it's worth adding; as far as I could tell from reading the directive itself, there are no specific instructions on what to do with trans members of the military who are already serving? Or more specifically, the decision is being left to the DOD as to their fate. Small bit of light in an otherwise giant pile of bullshit.

And in response to (ahem) certain others, libertarianism only works in a vacuum; competition by no means only (or even often) means lower prices, it often means mergers and very few companies in charge of the distribution of a thing which then can feel free to engage in however much price gouging they want, since in Libertarian Land, there are no regulatory agencies to stop them. ANYWAY. The cost of medical care for trans service members is absolutely minimal given both our smaller presence and the benefits we bring to the table, benefits which will now be gone. All because of moralistic weenies and the people willing to give them a pass.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby lisagurl » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:43 am

The VA is supported by tax money which is paid by the tax payer. This is how insurance works. It takes payment from many to supply benefits for a few. Just like most of what the government does there is selective supply. The VA has been plagued with mismanagement, waste and fraud. When government is too large the system fails to provide what the laws require. There are countless examples of government failures and many the media avoids.

Making more laws will not solve too big to fail. Kicking the can down the road makes for more suffering later.
Not all transgender people want and or need laws protecting them more than every other human have. To require such laws only makes discrimination worse as some wanting more than what everyone has. Changing genders is a personal choice not one that requires others to pay for. Poor health habits are a choice and should not require others to pay for the poor behavior. As for drugs I do not even take an aspirin much less get stoned. I believe pain and stress are warnings the body gives to a problem that needs attention. Masking the problem does not heal it.
I would not make laws against people taking any drug they want. I sure will not pay for the damage that drug does to them. If prison is not going to rehabilitate bad behavior then all law breakers need to be executed. Government does not have the resources to provide the rights it proclaims to a population of 325 million.
In 1900 world population was 1.3 billion and today over 7 billion. 4 billion live on less than $3 a day as we buy products from their labor cheap. They rather come to the U.S and collect $24 a day welfare and live a better standard of living. If Americans were fair and just we would be paying minimum wage for all the products we buy. But that would lower the standard of living in the U.S. and improve a majority of living around the world.
Fighting for the inequality only gives evidence for why Americans are disliked around the world. When I lived in Italy near Naples I had to pretend i was English because of the bad reputation the U.S. Navy created there.
The demonstrations in the U.S. over discrimination add fuel to the fire destroying the advantage the U.S. had after WWII.
If the U.S. wants to be great again all Americans have to be working for the same goal such as colonizing another planet. This will not happen when individuals but their wants first. The alternative is survival of the group that best lives with the conditions they find themselves.
lisagurl

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Aaaand, among the many multiple things wrong with that, you compared being trans to "poor health habits". Gods, give me strength...
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby lisagurl » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:03 pm

If the public is forced to pay for every technical advance that the government and insurance companies deem necessary expense, we lose the liberty to control our own life and the very reasons we work for. Due to politician corruption, lobbying, corporate greed, economic issues control by the banks and government, etc. many things are funded that lead to more problems. For example the opioid crisis is fueled by insurance companies not willing to pay for more expensive pain drugs that are not addictive. The patient gets the doctor then to subscribe cheap addictive pain drugs which hook the customer. This then fuels the black market and crime.

Very little thought is put into government laws except for those who pay to have an advantage.

Should government be run by the science method with evidence or by superstitious beliefs that hold no proof in how the world works? The objective physical is the reality our bodies live in. The mental imagination is useful for ideas to be tested. Risk should be based on probability not on luck.
lisagurl

Postby PentacleGoddess » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:17 am

No, the "opioid crisis" is fueled by a never-ending, unwinnable 'War on Drugs' that criminalizes and fills our jails with poor people trying to get high. Also, the assumption that 'absolute liberty' is ever a given in or even remotely compatible with the concept of society is laughable, at best. Back to class with you.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Savage She-Hulk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:25 pm

I am SO glad I'm not still in the Army... :(
Savage She-Hulk
Regular

Postby lisagurl » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/fl- ... story.html
https://www.americanprogress.org/issues ... id-crisis/
https://www.cato.org/blog/aca-helping-f ... rdose-rate

I suspect the teacher does not read much. Drugs to mask pain do not fix the problems and only make them worse. same with insurance.
lisagurl

Postby Savage She-Hulk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Holy shit!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/08/29/mattis-orders-pentagon-allow-transgender-troops-continue-serving-pending-study/614711001/

Oh please, let Mattis be the one asshole on the Cabinet who actually does some good in this world!
Savage She-Hulk
Regular

Postby lisagurl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:41 pm

A lovely reminder that we perceive the world not as it is but as we are.
lisagurl

Postby DawnF » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 pm

lisagurl wrote:A lovely reminder that we perceive the world not as it is but as we are.

In a little over 3 years, the pendulum will quietly swing back.
DawnF

Postby lisagurl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 pm

The future is an unknown. At best we have the past probability but the times are a changing. There are more humans alive today than have died in all of known recorded history. We might not even be here in three years.
lisagurl

Postby MikiSJ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm

DawnF wrote:In a little over 3 years, the pendulum will quietly swing back.

Be prepared to be disappointed.
MikiSJ

Postby PentacleGoddess » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 am

DawnF wrote:
lisagurl wrote:A lovely reminder that we perceive the world not as it is but as we are.

Not unless the Dems find a better platform than 'We Aren't That Guy'.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 am

PentacleGoddess wrote:Not unless the Dems find a better platform than 'We Aren't That Guy'.
I not a member of any organized political party, I am a Democrat!
Will Rogers
MikiSJ

Postby lisagurl » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 am

L’Oreal’s Fires First Trans Model For Saying White People Are Racist
http://fortune.com/2017/09/01/munroe-bergdorf-loreal/
lisagurl

Postby DawnF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

PentacleGoddess wrote:
DawnF wrote:

Not unless the Dems find a better platform than 'We Aren't That Guy'.

They definitively need to get their shit together, but as for Trump, it looks like he is going to self-destruct. My guess is that he'll lose the 2020 Republican nomination and then run as an independent, if only to get even. That will split the conservative vote and whoever the Democratic nominee is will coast to a certain victory!
DawnF

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Health care is a basic human right and should not be a subject of free market forces.

Medicaid for all is the way to go. Unfortunately, it's still about 15 years away, along with the Equality Act.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby DawnF » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:52 am

Everyone should read this site, daily, if possible:

http://electoral-vote.com/

The Good Ship Trump is starting to founder.
DawnF

Postby lisagurl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:41 am

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Health care is a basic human right and should not be a subject of free market forces.

Medicaid for all is the way to go. Unfortunately, it's still about 15 years away, along with the Equality Act.

http://healthyamericans.org/assets/file ... -FINAL.pdf

Self inflicted health problems cost the rate payers hundreds of billions of dollars that could better be spent on intelligent lifestyles. By funding bad health habits through government programs we are destroying the very thing we want to improve. The idea is to practice good health not mask the results of poor behavior. The same people that practice bad habits pass it on to their children. Would it not be an improvement for these people not to have children in the first place?
Then we have eugenics that can make designer healthy children. Where do you think science is going to take us? Greed to the medical industry or better healthy people? Having government make your personal choices takes away your free will.
lisagurl

Postby lisagurl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:45 am

jentay1367 wrote:
DawnF wrote:

Not this goddamned time. I fear the actual republic is lost. Whatever remains may appear different from time to time, but it will not be what we've always known. Apparently, literacy and ethics actually have something to do with a functioning democracy.....who knew?

Democracy requires some skin in the game. Just being born does not require a voter to make rational intelligent choices. Ethics becomes a matter of culture and not one of the most beneficial to humanity.
lisagurl

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:10 am

lisagurl wrote:
Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Health care is a basic human right and should not be a subject of free market forces.

http://healthyamericans.org/assets/file ... -FINAL.pdf

Self inflicted health problems cost the rate payers hundreds of billions of dollars that could better be spent on intelligent lifestyles. By funding bad health habits through government programs we are destroying the very thing we want to improve. The idea is to practice good health not mask the results of poor behavior. The same people that practice bad habits pass it on to their children. Would it not be an improvement for these people not to have children in the first place?
Then we have eugenics that can make designer healthy children. Where do you think science is going to take us? Greed to the medical industry or better healthy people? Having government make your personal choices takes away your free will.

So that's what's happened in every other major country in the world? That's been the result in Denmark, France, Canada? In Japan, where the average life expectancy for a woman is 87?
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby lisagurl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:23 am

Life expectancy is based on many factors and like my mother not being able to function makes that life a waste.
Then also look at I.Q. and life expectancy and you will find a bell curve matching low intelligence with the lower life expectancy. Natural selection becomes the best indicator of how long a family lives.
lisagurl

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:25 am

lisagurl wrote:Then also look at I.Q. and life expectancy and you will find a bell curve matching low intelligence with the lower life expectancy. Natural selection becomes the best indicator of how long a family lives.

And here you are stubbornly breaking the curve.
Partially disturbed, totally awesome.
Natasha_Lynn

Location: On a small serene island located in a stygian realm of charnel horror

Postby lisagurl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:29 am

If you understood bell curves you would have an intelligent answer. But then average can be a lopsided graph with many just below and a few very high.
lisagurl

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:16 pm

lisagurl wrote:If you understood bell curves you would have an intelligent answer. But then average can be a lopsided graph with many just below and a few very high.

Here is a butt: (_Y_)
Natasha_Lynn

Postby lisagurl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:20 pm

It is obvious where the reply stands on the bell curve.
lisagurl

Postby MikiSJ » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm

If you understood bell curves, then you would know 'bell curve speak' refers to the left and/or the right of the mean or median of the curve, not the top or bottom.

If anyone want more information about bell curves, start here https://www.thoughtco.com/introduction- ... ve-3126337
MikiSJ

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:41 pm

MikiSJ wrote:If you understood bell curves, then you would know 'bell curve speak' refers to the left and/or the right of the mean or median of the curve, not the top or bottom.

I am actually inclined to give lisagurl credit here in that I assume she was talking about values relative to the mean rather than any up or down nonsense... I hope.
Natasha_Lynn

Postby DawnF » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:57 pm

MikiSJ wrote:If you understood bell curves, then you would know 'bell curve speak' refers to the left and/or the right of the mean or median of the curve, not the top or bottom.

If anyone want more information about bell curves, start here https://www.thoughtco.com/introduction- ... ve-3126337

Of course, having worked in Statistical Process Control for 14 years, I can attest to the fact that few things follow an actual normal (or Gaussian) distribution, but researchers like to ass-u-me that the populations that they are studying have characteristics indicated of the bell curve. One reason why replication rates among psychologists, sociologists, etc., are well below 50%.
DawnF

Postby VirginiaHall » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:58 pm

I thought there was a Constitutional Amendment about the right to bear arms? Can trans people have that taken away because of budget cuts or some of cockamamie reason having to do with medical costs? What if they can self-pay? What if they meet all the regulations that apply to cis folk?
VirginiaHall

Postby lisagurl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 pm

VirginiaHall wrote:I thought there was a Constitutional Amendment about the right to bear arms? Can trans people have that taken away because of budget cuts or some of cockamamie reason having to do with medical costs? What if they can self-pay? What if they meet all the regulations that apply to cis folk?

What planet? Anyone qualified can get a carry permit and transsexuals are not an exception. The deal about the military is that gives lifetime medical care which is an unfunded benefit. The government has 200 trillion in unfunded obligations in the future. It is asking your children to pay for elective surrey. The government has not had a balanced budget in decades. That is the result of spending more than they earn. If they increase taxes on the rich the rich simply move to other countries. It does not solve the problem of reducing spending. much of the budget goes to health care as well as programs that promote industries that do not increase the quality of life. A big part goes to the military which is the only reason the dollar has value.

Self pay is the only way the customer has leverage over the service. A single payer system removes the power of the customer to regulate the quality of the health care service.
lisagurl

Postby lisagurl » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm

DawnF wrote:

Of course, having worked in Statistical Process Control for 14 years, I can attest to the fact that few things follow an actual normal (or Gaussian) distribution, but researchers like to ass-u-me that the populations that they are studying have characteristics indicated of the bell curve. One reason why replication rates among psychologists, sociologists, etc., are well below 50%.

But many executive decisions are made by what the social sciences dictate. But when the science is questionable such as in https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Curve-Intel ... rican+life

many people refuse to see any correlation between reality and wishful thinking.
lisagurl

Postby DawnF » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:25 pm

lisagurl wrote:
DawnF wrote:

But many executive decisions are made by what the social sciences dictate. But when the science is questionable such as in https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Curve-Intel ... rican+life

many people refuse to see any correlation between reality and wishful thinking.

As the late Carl Sagan said, those authors "hopelessly confused correlation with causation..." Besides, we are all judged as individuals and not as groups. Google, for instance, hires individuals and not "groups". But, I agree with you, but to quote Mark Twain, "There are lies, damned lies, and then, there's statistics." Which just goes to show that people (probably, politicians) were abusing statistics over 100 years ago.
DawnF

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:42 pm

Statistically speaking, that seems valid.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:33 am

There are no bad statistics, but statistics can be used badly. Most people who end up using statistics in some capacity in their career have little or no intuition behind the use of statistics that is imbued in a more focused statistics curriculum. That and sometimes people are so focused on the result they want that their methodology is designed to get them to what they are trying to find, rather than what actually exists.
Natasha_Lynn

Postby lisagurl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 am

Statistics are used by the government to promote its agenda funded by people that profit from it. For example the medical industry that promotes forced insurance.

So how are statistics being used to deceive you about statins’ effectiveness? If you look at absolute risk, statin drugs benefit just 1 percent of the population. This means that out of 100 people treated with the drugs, one person will have one less heart attack.

But the side effects grab many to require more medical visits.
Then we have the social sciences that have given government the Skinner/Pavlov conditioning of children to become worker/consumer drones. Most religions and cultures use the statistics of social science to enhance the leadership and control populations.

The less leadership controls the better natural selection puts human energy into survival and evolution.
lisagurl

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:43 pm

lisagurl wrote:Then we have the social sciences that have given government the Skinner/Pavlov conditioning of children to become worker/consumer drones.

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Re: Well, f*ck! It is official.

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Natasha_Lynn wrote:. . . . but statistics can be used badly. That and sometimes people are so focused on the result they want that their methodology is designed to get them to what they are trying to find, rather than what actually exists.

The above is a good chunk of what passes as the modern " scientific method " these days. ( Think of the 'proof' of Cold Fusion, now published as 'proven' by the scientific method. )
I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail SpunGold

"Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope; to draw strength from...."

" TAILS ON !"
CuteButLooksPregnant

Re: Well, f*ck! It is official.

Postby lisagurl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:43 pm

CuteButLooksPregnant wrote:
Natasha_Lynn wrote:. . . . but statistics can be used badly. That and sometimes people are so focused on the result they want that their methodology is designed to get them to what they are trying to find, rather than what actually exists.

The above is a good chunk of what passes as the modern " scientific method " these days. ( Think of the 'proof' of Cold Fusion, now published as 'proven' by the scientific method. )

Just because shady scientific publications put things in print it does not mean there is evidence. Same goes for major media and entertainment which is supported by people trying to sell you something. Some PhD programs are all about securing funding more than they are about finding reality.

May I suggest https://www.amazon.com/Zen-Motorcycle-M ... aintenance
lisagurl

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:13 pm

MikiSJ wrote:
PentacleGoddess wrote:Not unless the Dems find a better platform than 'We Aren't That Guy'.
I not a member of any organized political party, I am a Democrat!
Will Rogers

Haha, pretty much. :lol:

DawnF wrote:They definitively need to get their shit together, but as for Trump, it looks like he is going to self-destruct. My guess is that he'll lose the 2020 Republican nomination and then run as an independent, if only to get even. That will split the conservative vote and whoever the Democratic nominee is will coast to a certain victory!

Don't forget that 2016 was supposed to be a 'certain, easy victory'. :| Speaking personally, I'd like to see the Democrats forced to actually reckon with their milquetoast platform and start offering more of an actual alternative than just coast to another "We're moderately less terrible than the other guy" victory, y'know? If 2016 demonstrated one thing, any one lesson the Dems obstinately refuse to learn, it's that people are pretty well done with being told "we can have progress EVENTUALLY, when it's 'practical' ", or that we "want too much". People want something to vote for, not something to vote against.
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Next

Return to Politics, Philosophy, and Science

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm