'The times, they are a'changing' rewritten

Activism, Civil Rights, Debate, Theory, and Research

'The times, they are a'changing' rewritten

Postby MikiSJ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 pm

I do not watch Jimmy Fallon too much in the late evening, but I came across this jewel sung last night. The lyrics, as sung by Fallon, were written by Ethan Hawke - spend 2:46 minutes re-living the protest song of the '60s, brought up to date:
https://youtu.be/wZ9drv78dCQ?t=156 Note: you may have to re-wind the Youtu.be video to the start.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Re: 'The times, they are a'changing' rewritten

Postby CeliaEriksson » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 am

Wow, it was Bob too, I did not expect that. Good post Miki!
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby SophieCantDance » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 am

still a powerful song
Sophie <3
SophieCantDance

Postby MikiSJ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:32 pm

SophieCantDance wrote:still a powerful song

It was one of the first songs I learned to play on a guitar way back when.
This song was written the year I graduated from high school and at a time when things, all things, were starting to change, including myself. I had already committed to a Navy enlistment and Vietnam was barely a third page news story. My friends were wandering around hopelessly trying to figure out what to do. University was affordable but if you went off to Cal or San Jose State you wouldn't have enough money to make your car go fast. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I grew up around San Francisco and in 1964 the Beat generation was waning, if not gone; these new guys, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and others were singing songs that kinda made sense. I went on active duty in July 1965 and since many of my shipmates were from the midwest or plains or barely made it out of high school and I was from urban San Francisco - they didn't understand me. What do you when someone is in the group you don't understand - you shove them aside, or worse bully them.

I retreated from reality in the songs I started to associate with. I managed to collect about 30-35 albums from the various folk singers of the day. I had some jewels in my collection from the Phil Och's, Dave Van Ronk's and Buffy St. Marie's and other voices that were not quite as marketable as Bob Dylan.

I did my best to hide my collection on the ship. Unfortunately, one of my bullys found where I kept my albums and record player and broke every single one of the albums and stomped the player into oblivion. The individual, who I knew because he bragged about what he did, was very, very fortunate not to have been in Olongapo, Philippines at the time as I would gladly have spent $50 to have had him disappeared. (I still feel no guilt about those thoughts!)

There are sill old Beatniks in North Beach and The Village. There are still old Hippies in the Haight and there are still old girls who will turn the volume up when Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' starts to play on the radio. While most of me has moved on to an understanding of today's ills and problems, I have made a conscious decision to leave my music ideals in the '60s and '70s.

The times are a'changing and where that change will take us is unknown, and that should be scary, real scary.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby helen2b » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 am

That was GOLD, Miki. Was going to write, "They don't write songs like that anymore." But they have. :D Thanks for sharing.

Was thst Bob? Or Jimmy Fallon made up to look like Bob?

Out to kids: Nov. 2015
Legal name changed 09/11/2016
Driver's Lic., Medicare and Bank accounts amended 22/11/2016
Out @ work 17/01/2017
Out to siblings 06/03/2017
BA...13/07/2017

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your handsome prince.
helen2b

Postby CeliaEriksson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:31 am

Oh, silly me! It's not Bob, is it? :oops:
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby MikiSJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:39 am

Yes, girls, it was Jimmy Fallon (a very, very talented guy - one generation too far removed for me) and not Bob Dylan.
MikiSJ

Postby jentay1367 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 am

That's okay, Celia. Even Bob Dylan's not Bob Dylan any longer.
jentay1367
Regular

Postby CeliaEriksson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 am

jentay1367 wrote:That's okay, Celia. Even Bob Dylan's not Bob Dylan any longer.

:lol:
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Return to Politics, Philosophy, and Science

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm