Uterus transplants, you can now have a baby!

Activism, Civil Rights, Debate, Theory, and Research

Uterus transplants, you can now have a baby!

Postby Andina » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:57 am

Andina
Board Moderator

Re: Uterus transplants, you can now have a baby!

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Obviously good news, but I'll stick with my childfree lifestyle 8)
Partially disturbed, totally awesome.
Natasha_Lynn

Location: On a small serene island located in a stygian realm of charnel horror

Postby PentacleGoddess » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:29 am

Wowwwww, fuck that headline though I swear that paper is such a rag

Also, not sure I'm super into the idea of being on anti-rejection immunosuppressants for probably forever just for the sake of having a womb.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
PentacleGoddess
Board Moderator

Postby Demon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 am

I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would be that easy. Doesn't male chromosomes have to fertilize a female DNA structure?

Natasha_Lynn wrote:Obviously good news, but I'll stick with my childfree lifestyle 8)

If so, how will the Natasha Lynn Lineage survive?
my life is mostly pain
Demon

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 pm

demon wrote:
Natasha_Lynn wrote:Obviously good news, but I'll stick with my childfree lifestyle 8)

If so, how will the Natasha Lynn Lineage survive?

Through an unholy pact with the devil.
Partially disturbed, totally awesome.
Natasha_Lynn

Location: On a small serene island located in a stygian realm of charnel horror

Postby Bea » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Yah, I'll just adopt still. While my genes aren't undeserving of being passed onto another generation, there are enough kids in the world that need love already.
Bea

Postby Cherry Cola Lola » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

[quote="Bea"]Yah, I'll just adopt still. While my genes aren't undeserving of being passed onto another generation, there are enough kids in the world that need love already.[/quote]

Clearly the selfless decision, but not sure I could pass up such an opportunity, I suspect there will be some straight men that would go for it too. :thumb:

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/melanie-hu ... plants-men

I thought I had seen a story on the web about researches having transplanted embryos into chimpanzee or orangutans and successfully C sectioned live births but can't seem to find the story now. Not sure they even used a uterus and instead just transplanted into the abdominal cavity somewhere.

...In just 20 years the boundary between fantasy and reality will be rent asunder...The boundaries between fiction and reality blur... Yuval Harari
Cherry Cola Lola
New

Postby CeliaEriksson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 am

No thank you. It is frickin' hard passing on all the offers of sweets, deliciousitical doughnuts and cakies to keep the tum trim and stretch mark free! This is an amazing advance though and many younglings will have the opportunity to start a family with the man they love.

It is obvious though that the egg would be donated, so it is still a form of surrogacy, but to have their own child nurtured within is a good thing for such women. Celia xx
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby Tara » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Demon wrote:I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would be that easy. Doesn't male chromosomes have to fertilize a female DNA structure?

Yes, of course, but that's male chromosomes in the male spermatozoa (sperm) combining with female chromosomes in the ovum (egg). They don't have to be from the person who actually carries the embryo. That's how invitro fertilization works; sperm and eggs are mixed in the lab, the little wrigglers do their thing, and then a resulting embryo is implanted into a convenient uterus, which may or may not belong to the person who provided the egg.
~*~ Tara

“What do you fear, lady?” he asked.
“A cage,” she said. “To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Tara

Postby Demon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Tara wrote:
Demon wrote:I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would be that easy. Doesn't male chromosomes have to fertilize a female DNA structure?

Yes, of course, but that's male chromosomes in the male spermatozoa (sperm) combining with female chromosomes in the ovum (egg). They don't have to be from the person who actually carries the embryo. That's how invitro fertilization works; sperm and eggs are mixed in the lab, the little wrigglers do their thing, and then a resulting embryo is implanted into a convenient uterus, which may or may not belong to the person who provided the egg.

But I want my own genes in it, not somebody else's.
my life is mostly pain
Demon

Postby Tara » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Demon wrote:But I want my own genes in it, not somebody else's.

Your own genes could come from the sperm, if you banked them before surgery. Your sperm would then be used to fertilize an egg from a cis woman, and then implanted into your transplanted uterus.

Cloning your genes into a donated egg, which is then fertilized with other sperm might eventually be possible. I'm pretty sure it's been done with mice, but humans are a bit more complicated. It would still be the donor's mitochondrial DNA, though.
~*~ Tara

“What do you fear, lady?” he asked.
“A cage,” she said. “To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Tara

Return to Politics, Philosophy, and Science

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm