Bulletin Board: Requests for Research Participants

Activism, Civil Rights, Debate, Theory, and Research

Re: Bulletin Board: Requests for Research Participants

Postby amoore01 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 am

Hello, my name is Alyssa Moore. I am a Master of Mental Health Counseling student working on my thesis. The purpose of the study is to examine the perceptions of social support, i.e. family, friend, and work support, among transgender individuals with a special focus on comparisons between MTF women and FTM men. There isn't a whole lot of work comparing MTF women and FTM men and it's important to understand differences in terms of social support so that we can improve outreach efforts and help the community. I need at least 100 participants to take the survey overall, ideally 50 MTF women and 50 FTM men. The survey is 100% anonymous and I have no way of finding out who took it or any personal information, beyond basic demographic data, whatsoever. The study has undergone IRB approval at Manhattan College. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the survey. It should take 20-30 minutes. Help me help the community! Thank you for your time!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AMooreMCSurvey
amoore01
New

Postby whitehatm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 am

Amoore
Thank you so much for following the rules and posting this here rather than spamming the regular channels, I hope you get a lot of participation.

amoore01 wrote:Hello, my name is Alyssa Moore. I am a Master of Mental Health Counseling student working on my thesis. The purpose of the study is to examine the perceptions of social support, i.e. family, friend, and work support, among transgender individuals with a special focus on comparisons between MTF women and FTM men. There isn't a whole lot of work comparing MTF women and FTM men and it's important to understand differences in terms of social support so that we can improve outreach efforts and help the community. I need at least 100 participants to take the survey overall, ideally 50 MTF women and 50 FTM men. The survey is 100% anonymous and I have no way of finding out who took it or any personal information, beyond basic demographic data, whatsoever. The study has undergone IRB approval at Manhattan College. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the survey. It should take 20-30 minutes. Help me help the community! Thank you for your time!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AMooreMCSurvey
If someone gives you lemons, squeeze them into their eyes and take their wallets, soda tastes so much better when it's paid for with someone else's money.

SRS Fund: $31.89
whitehatm

Postby brood » Thu May 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Brian Rood and I am a clinical psychology doctoral student at Suffolk University in Boston. I am part of an LGBT-affirmative research group and I am currently researching how trans individuals experience and respond to discrimination, and develop into more resilient individuals. If you would like to participate, here is the link to the online study:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/transhealthstudy

It takes about 15 minutes to complete and there is the possibility to receive a gift card for Amazon.com as a thank-you for your time. I would greatly appreciate your help in participating in the research study. Also, please feel free to distribute/post the link elsewhere. If you have any questions/concerns, please contact me at barood@suffolk.edu.

Many thanks! :D
Last edited by brood on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brood
New

Postby LisaF » Fri May 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Hello,

My name is Lisa Fein and I am an Assistant Professor at Westminster College in Missouri. I am conducting a study on weddings. As you know, weddings are highly gendered rituals and there has been a significant amount of research on the various ways that gender influences and is influenced by weddings of cisgender couples. However, there has been no research that I can locate that examines gender (roles, display, identity, discrimination) among couples in which at least one partner is transgender.

I will be in New York City for most of June and July to conduct confidential interviews. If you planned or are currently planning a wedding, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your experiences. If you do not live in NY, but would like to participate, I would be more than happy to conduct the interview over the phone.

If you have any questions or think you might be interested in participating, please call 573-592-5309 or email me at lisa.fein@westminster-mo.edu.

Thank you,
Lisa
LisaF
New

Postby Sage » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:50 am

Last edited by Sage on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into the open spaces we must go and not be frightened, As children we came, As children we go, So never look behind you, never look behind...
Sage

Postby SaraKama » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:17 am

brood wrote:Hi everyone,

My name is Brian Rood and I am a clinical psychology doctoral student at Suffolk University in Boston. I posted this message in other threads on this site--my apologies if this should only be posted in this particular thread! I am part of an LGBT-affirmative research group and I am currently researching how trans individuals experience and respond to discrimination, and develop into more resilient individuals. If you would like to participate, here is the link to the online study:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/transhealthstudy

It takes about 15 minutes to complete and there is the possibility to receive a gift card for Amazon.com as a thank-you for your time. I would greatly appreciate your help in participating in the research study. Also, please feel free to distribute/post the link elsewhere. If you have any questions/concerns, please contact me at barood@suffolk.edu.

Many thanks!

I took part in your study, and I've got no issue with it being linked to me. Make sure that it *is*.
93s, Mx.(Mixx) Sara Kama (She/Her Out 24 Dec. 2013)
SaraKama

Postby Aiedail » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:10 am

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a master student of Linguistics at the University of Leuven (KUL) in Belgium. For my thesis I need the help of people who feel comfortable in front of a camera as I would like to analyse how individual identities are negotiated in conversation. You're probably wondering "why us?". Well, unfortunately, the trans community is the victim of a lot of prejudice and in order to truly be who you are you have to find a way to deal with all of that negativity. Secondly, there is the explicit need to express the identity that you probably had to keep hidden for quite some time.

If you want to help me, it would be great if you could get together with some friends (3-4 in total, but I'm not going to be picky, so less or more will do too) and discuss everything transgender (e.g. the social issues, personal issues, even day-to-day life etc.) for about an hour (or two, but again, I won't be picky) while filming your group discussion. Send me a private message and I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks!

Aiedail
Last edited by Aiedail on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aiedail
New

I Need Your Help!

Postby KBell » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:36 pm

My name is Katie and I apologize for coming onto this forum not being transgender but I am getting desperate. I am a student in Pittsburgh and am currently writing a paper on the history of transgender and how far everything has come in the world today as far as medical advances, day to day living and acceptance or the lack there of. I need to interview two individuals willing to open up to me for about a half hour. I will not share names any everything will be anonymous. Please. I need your help.
KBell
New

Re: I Need Your Help!

Postby Andina » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 am

No jumping the queue. :)

I've moved your post to a section set aside for this, please read previous history on posts of this nature at http://www.tgboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10965
Andina
Board Moderator

Postby MikiSJ » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Dannni wrote:Empty Promise ice cream?
Baskin-Robbins rotates their flavors quickly. This will be in their stores by Thursday.
I doubt Ben and Jerry will pick up the flavor.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby KBell » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:35 am

Hello, I'm writing a research paper on the lives of transgender people and how they've coped growing up being labeled as different and how their lives are now as well as when they made the decision to come out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
KBell
New

Postby Jess Renee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm

KBell, I sent you a PM... :)
"The phoenix must burn to emerge"
Jess Renee

Postby Kaida » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 am

KBell me too.
Kaida

Postby Dale » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:32 am

Hi there,

Thanks for the invite. This could be what I was looking for.

I am finishing work on my second book, and could use a little advice. My principle interest might be said to be "eunuchism," and the idea of "neutral-genderism." My problem, at the moment, is that I have a chapter titled "The Popular Cult Eunuch," where I must theorize on a subject I have very little real experience of, so it would be extremely helpful if I could check what I have come up with, with someone who is experienced in the transgender world and who is familiar with all the stereotypes.

The first question I would ask, however, would be: what is neutral-genderism? Is it something real or only imagined? How might it be lived? Might anybody reading this identify with such a concept?

Oh, and one more thing. Does anybody know if there is a "board" or interenet group where I might converse with academic sorts, scholars and researchers in the area of gender studies, with emphasis on transgenderism?

Thanks for any consideration.
Dale
Dale
New

Postby seliabarnes » Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Hello, I am a college undergraduate and an aspiring doctor. I watched a close friend transition and it was amazing to see how transformative and beneficial the process was for him. He was lucky enough to have had helpful, knowledgeable doctors on his side, but I know that many people are not that lucky. I want to be a doctor so that I may help more people have the same positive experiences with healthcare that my friend has had so far. Due to these ambitions, I am researching transgender healthcare in my college writing class. I have put together a short, 6 question survey about general experiences with and perceptions of the healthcare world, and if you are interested, comfortable, and willing, I would love to have you respond to it!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DFL9D8D
seliabarnes
New

Postby jrb101 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:29 pm

My name is Justin Baez and I am a high school senior in the Bronx. I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions regarding Transgender Housing rights for my senior thesis which is on ending discrimination in housing for transgender individuals. Answering these questions would definitely help me with acquiring qualitative data for my thesis and with creating my policy proposal. The answers to these questions can be sent to my email: justin.baez@scholar.democracyprep.org. Keep in mind that all who decide to answer these questions will remain anonymous

Thank you for your time and help!!!

1) Do you consider yourself transgender and/or gender non­conforming?

2) What is your race and ethnicity?

3) Have you faced any sort of discrimination or challenges in regards to renting an

apartment or buying a home?

a. (If Yes) How would you describe the obstacle? (denied loans, misleading

information, etc)

b. (If No) Do you know somebody who has faced housing discrimination?

4) Have you or anybody you know (who is also transgender) been discriminated against by

any tenants or landlords? How?

5) Were you ever denied housing accommodations such as heating, running hot water, etc?

6) Have you or the person seeked legal counseling/advice on the matter and proceeded to

procure legal action?

a. (If Yes) Was it a beneficial action/was it successful?

b. (If No) Why did you not seek legal help?

7) Do you know about the current laws and legal systems in place that provide general

rights for you?

8) In any moment in your life have you ever been homeless as a result of your gender

identity?

a. (If Yes) Were you denied access into a homeless shelter?

9. Who should be held accountable for the issue of Housing Discrimination in the Minority

Transgender Community (i.e black/asian/hispanic)?

10. What is the role of minority transgenders in resolving the issue?

a. How would you get involved to resolve the issues?
jrb101
New

Postby mrsb » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Hello, I am currently enrolled as a mature age student in Community Welfare cert 3, following with Diploma of Counselling next year at Uni. I am doing an assessment with a presentation on culturally diverse groups in Australia and I have chosen the Trans Gender community. I have done a fair amount of research and would like to ask questions on my language and subject matter as it is very important that i present the information i find in a respectful and precise way. thanks for your time, Kerry.
Kerryinaus@gmail.com if anyone would have the time to help me. Thanks.
mrsb
New

Postby drussell92 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:06 am

Hello everyone!

My name is Dean Russell. I am a 4th year Sociology student at the University of Edinburgh. At the moment, I am conducting my dissertation: I wish to explore trans identity within the realm of popular culture. I would love to speak to some people who have opinions on the representation of trans people in television shows, movies, activists portrayed in the media, characters within novels or even popular online blogs. We could arrange for a short interview via Skype, or even if you would like to reply to this message and I could send you the questions I have conducted; the process is entirely down to you!

Many thanks and hope I can hear from some of you soon,

Dean

(p.s. my e-mail address is deanrussell11@btopenworld.com if you wish to contact me regarding this proposal)
drussell92
New

Postby mazza1234567 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:52 am

HI there!
I am a psychology undergraduate student at the university of Glasgow and I am conducting a survey online about transgender individuals. The survey is about the transition process and mental health. I understand that the answer would be most likely no, but I was wondering if there was anyway that this could be posted anywhere?
I would be more than happy to answer any questions or provide more information as needed.
As an incentive, for completing the survey there is a prize draw for a £40 gift card and it takes 10 mins to complete online!

https://qtrial2014az1.az1.qualtrics.com ... VHDOtbnjQF

my email: mhairiharris@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks
Mhairi Harris
mazza1234567
New

Postby Kaida » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm sorry. Too many of the buttons and other functions of your survey do not work in any of my browsers. Know I tried. Poor design is not my fault.
Kaida

Postby studentgrl » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:28 am

Hi all,

I'll keep this brief, I promise! My name is Fiona Garvey, a final year undergrad at Durham University in England studying Marketing. My dissertation is on the representation of trans people in advertising in the hope that increased research will lead to fewer offensive and damaging representations of this community.
So if you have any thoughts on anything in this realm from Jazz Jennings for Clean & Clear to advertisements that shaped your own identity please get in touch. You can also reach me at fiona.garvey@durham.ac.uk. I would also love to ask specific questions on this topic to anyone with a bit of free time :D

Answers can be completely anonymous.
Thanks so much in advance,
Fiona
studentgrl
New

Postby Lucy-chan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:59 am

studentgrl wrote:Hi all,

I'll keep this brief, I promise! My name is Fiona Garvey, a final year undergrad at Durham University in England studying Marketing. My dissertation is on the representation of trans people in advertising in the hope that increased research will lead to fewer offensive and damaging representations of this community.
So if you have any thoughts on anything in this realm from Jazz Jennings for Clean & Clear to advertisements that shaped your own identity please get in touch. You can also reach me at fiona.garvey@durham.ac.uk. I would also love to ask specific questions on this topic to anyone with a bit of free time :D

Answers can be completely anonymous.
Thanks so much in advance,
Fiona

There are no trans people in advertising...... And few things are sold to us.
If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
Lucy-chan

Postby Sabrina » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:57 pm

"So if you have any thoughts on anything in this realm from Jazz Jennings for Clean & Clear to advertisements that shaped your own identity please get in touch."

Advertisements that shaped my identity????????? Hahahahahaha. That's about the most absurd comment I've seen in a sea of absurd comments
Sabrina

transfolks needed for online transphobia study by 2/5/16

Postby TWangJones » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Are you trans* identified?
Are you interested in participating in research about transphobia?

We are creating measures of unconscious bias toward transmen and transwomen. So far, our measures predict cisgender support for trans-affirmative HR policies. To refine these measures, we need to compare mainstream cisgender data with those from transfolk.

Please go to this link to participate in this 15-20 minute online study.
https://alliant.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=S ... EEPEpRi4pD

Thank you!
TWangJones
New

Postby Silvio » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:29 pm

Hello all,

My research partner and I are looking for people to interview for a project involving the Transgender community. My name is Silvio and I am an anthropology student currently studying at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec, in Canada. The reason for which I decided to post on this forum is to gain information on the Trans community. I chose this topic so that I can learn more about the ways in which Transgender people feel they are perceived in society. In addition, this research can go on to educate people who may be ignorant to struggles that the Transgender community face on a daily basis. I know that this may be a personal topic for many people, but if you feel that you would like to help inform people about your point of view, then please, feel free to email me at Silvio.toia@gmail.com
Silvio
New

Shirts and Tumblr! // Personality + Gender Development

Postby leona » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:29 am

Hi! I'm Leona. I'm a 3rd year undergraduate student in the US and am working towards getting a research grant for a study around links between Cluster B personality disorders and astrological and ideasthetic trait groups. It sounds super duper obnoxious and gender unrelated. Here's the gender deal:

The 3 illnesses in Cluster B I'm looking at show up overwhelmingly in either one sex or the other.

My questions for here specifically are in regards to the ways in which the gender cues we are given throughout our childhoods heighten the development of personality-based behaviors and to what extent certain personality trait sets allow for varying expressions, particularly gender expressions.

While I wait for grant approval, I am doing a sort of informal survey type deal to see if it's worth thinking about an extension/supplementation for the study. It's related to how people take off their shirts and whether our genders determine motor control.

On Tumblr (great research inspiration, I know) I saw a post regarding the differences in ways girls and boys take off their shirts, as outlined in this article: http://observer.com/2014/06/battle-of-t ... t-removal/

I asked 12 friends of varying sexes, gender identities, sexual orientations, and gender modeling behaviors to tell me whether or not they are physically capable of taking off a relatively loose-fitting unisex-cut t-shirt the "girl way," the "boy way," neither, or both. I also asked them to note the way they *typically* took off such a shirt, regardless of which ways they physically were capable of.

*Note that if you choose to engage in this informal survey thing, you are under NO obligation to answer every question. If you have questions or want to add clarification to your answers or anything, or if there's something I didn't include that you think is important either for the general population or for your answers in particular, you can let me know too! Also, if you find the process of the shirt taking off thing either physically uncomfortable to a distressing degree, or if you experience any sort of dysphoria or anything from it, don't do it :)

It would be so cool if anyone would PM me with these things:

1. what is your birth sex / the gender you were raised as in childhood
2. what is your current medical sex or medical sex situation (i.e. gov IDs, stage of surgery or hormones)
3. what is your gender identity
4. what is your sexual OR romantic orientation?
5. how long is your hair (considering long to be past the shoulders, medium to be down to almost shoulders, and short to be less than a couple inches)
6. what is your chest situation? (this is a question of whether movement of the torso or arms is impacted by breasts OR a binder)
7. are you considerably over- or under-weight?
8. do you have a motor disability or impairment that might impact your torso, back, neck, hands, or arms?
9. do you come from any cultural background that might significantly impact the way you move your muscles or limbs?

10. do you *consciously* model your behavior off of masculine people? feminine people? I created the following categories for this that I know can have the potential to sound a bit inconsiderate - I promise they're not coming from any lack of awareness on my part, exactly the opposite. They're based on role models, innate gravitation towards expressions, etc. The categories of *who you consciously model your behavior after* are:
a) hyper effeminate males
b) mixed masculinity-femininity, male muscle (i.e. typically read as male because of the way you move your masculine muscle structure while having significant feminine aesthetic traits, such as wearing feminine clothing or jewelry, etc)
c) mixed-isolated masculinity-femininity, male muscle (i.e. typically read as male because of the way you move your masculine muscle structure while alternating between various forms of gender expression, usually with some days consisting of neutral expression, some consisting of actively masculine expression, and some consisting of actively feminine expression)
d) neutrally masculine males without significant feminine aesthetic traits
e) hyper masculine males
f) hyper masculine females
g) mixed masculinity-femininity, female muscle (i.e. either typically read as female OR having roughly equal or mixed percentages of being read as male or female, having relatively neutral to masculine aesthetic traits, such as wearing masculine clothing or jewelry, etc - a lot of the time these people are female borns who even as adults can get mistaken for 13 year old boys)
h) mixed-isolated masculinity-femininity, female muscle (i.e. typically read as female because of the way you move your feminine muscle structure while alternating between various forms of gender expression, usually with some days consisting of neutral expression, some consisting of actively masculine expression, and some consisting of actively feminine expression)
i) neutrally feminine females without significant masculine or feminine aesthetic traits
j) hyper feminine females

11. are you physically able to take off your shirt in the "girl" way as the article describes it?
12. are you physically able to take off your shirt in the "boy" was as the article describes it?
13. do either of these methods feel uncomfortable or awkward?
14. do you tend to typically take off this type of t-shirt using one of these methods? Or is there a different method you typically use?

Also mods let me know if this follows all the rules? I tried to check around, and I think everything should be fine, but let me know if there are any issues! :)

Thanks everyone!
leona
New

Postby UWMGradStudent » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Greetings!

My name is Ben, and I am a third year PhD student in the Communication department at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (https://uwm.edu/communication/). I am conducting an internal review board-approved study interested in talking to age 18+ transgender individuals who have disclosed their gender identity to at least one member of their family.

This research aims to explore transgender identity development, family communication, and the coming out process through storytelling. When reporting the results, your name will be changed as will all identifying information you might share (e.g., places you are from, the names of family members).

I am very flexible regarding how the interview will be conducted (e.g. via Skype or Facetime) and when (days, evenings, and weekends). If you are interested in participating in this study and/or want more information, please email me at your earliest convenience at: genderstudy2016@gmail.com. Simply indicate you would like to take part in the study or would like more details, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Even if you are not interested in participating, I would ask that you please consider sharing this call with people you know who might fit the study. I truly appreciate your help.

Respectfully,

Benjamin Baker
https://uwm.edu/communication/people/baker-benjamin/
UWMGradStudent
New

Requests for Research Participants

Postby Jeanny0 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Janine Dufner and I am looking for participants for my BA Thesis. I am investigating how participation in online support groups helps transgender people cope with discrimination. The research involves two parts, a short online questionnaire which takes no longer than 15 minutes to fill out and a virtual focus group on a private web-board, which will be accessible for two weeks.

This study might illuminate the mechanisms through which online support groups can help transgender people cope with discrimination and also contribute to the improvement of existing offers.

Due to the nature of the study only transgender people are eligible for participation.

Please follow this link for more information and the short online questionnaire: https://unipark.de/uc/Dufner_BA_Thesis/8575/

Kind regards,
Janine
Jeanny0
New

Postby LBFRIL01 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Brooke Friley, and I am seeking participants for my doctoral dissertation research. My project is exploring how transgender individuals decide to disclose their transgender identity to medical providers. For this project I am conducting one-hour telephone interviews during which we will discuss how this information is shared. Results from these interviews will be analyzed by transgender individuals in focus groups with the hope of working collaboratively to develop resources that might help transgender individuals navigate these difficult conversations more comfortably.

All participant information will be kept confidential, and this study has been approved by the Purdue University Institutional Review Board (IRB). Participants who complete the interview will be entered into a drawing to win one of three $25 Amazon gift cards.

If you are interested in participating, please use the URL below to access a short screening questionnaire that will verify your eligibility and also ask for contact information and availability for scheduling an interview. To participate, you must be at least 18 years of age, able to interview in English, and identify as transgender.

http://ow.ly/SO0x1

If you would like further information about the study, please feel free to ask questions here or to email me at lfriley@purdue.edu.

Thank you for considering participating in this research!

Brooke
LBFRIL01
New

LGBTQ Adults and Tobacco Stigma Research Study

Postby malisa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Hello-

I am a researcher with the Center for Critical Public Health in Oakland, CA. We are recruiting transgender participants for a study regarding stigma around smoking. I'm hoping to post the following announcement. Please let me know what more I can do or if I can answer any questions you might have. You can also take a look at our website: criticalpublichealth.org Thanks in advance.- Malisa

The Center for Critical Public Health is looking for interviewees for a research study about personal experiences and beliefs about tobacco and smoking within LGBTQ communities.

ELIGIBILITY:

- 18-65 years old
- Identifies as LGBTQIA+
- Resides in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Currently smokes cigarettes or formerly smoked cigarettes

COMPENSATION: $55

If you are interested in participating, please follow this link to a screening instrument that will help us determine your eligibility: criticalpublichealth.org/lgbtq-tobacco-screener

or call or email us at 510-883-5740 / info@criticalpublichealth.org

Confidentiality is important to us and the security of this project, so please note that any information you share with us will be used exclusively for the purposes of this research project. We do not Spam or place you on an emailing listserv.
malisa
New

Postby juliacascon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:25 am

Hi everyone!
My name is Julia, and I am a Master's student at the University of Aberdeen, I am in the Sex, Gender and Violence programme. In order to complete this programme, I am to complete a piece of independent research for my dissertation. I decided to research transgender people, particularly in the areas of their relationship to traditional masculinity and femininity, and passing/presenting. This is a very exciting research opportunity for me, as I hope to be able to further transgender rights by educating the general public and normalizing their experiences. I will conduct qualitative interviews with them (via Skype or telephone), and am in dire need of participants!

This is where you come in. Would you be interested in having a conversation with me where you share your stories and opinions? If you identify as trans, regardless of whether you have received HRT or SRS or not, and are 18 or older, I would love to interview you!

Please drop me an e-mail at j.perezcascon.15@aberdeen.ac.uk and I will provide you with a document containing more detailed information about this research.

I am looking forward to hearing from you!
juliacascon
New

Postby Andina » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:20 am

juliacascon wrote:Hi everyone!
My name is Julia, and I am a Master's student at the University of Aberdeen, I am in the Sex, Gender and Violence programme. . . . . . . . .

OMG universities have come a long way since I graduated, they never had majors like that in my time :o
Andina
Board Moderator

Postby Demon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:43 am

Here's your research.

Had a job, minded my own business, didn't molest the other girls there.
Came in women's clothes and makeup.
For merely going to the women's bathroom, a bunch of women complained and I was prevented from going to the women's bathroom anymore.

And I didn't molest one person.

I hope they all get molested some day.

We need to increase our War against the Cis.
these are a few of the 3 primary emotions i feel, middle finger to you
Demon

Postby Jessie C » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:25 am

Would you be willing to fill out a short anonymous survey on your experiences as a transgender student in high school and college?
This is a long-shot, as I need participants for my survey by the end of this weekend (before Feb 13th, 2017). However, all of the other groups that I contacted previously have not responded, so here it goes:

I am currently enrolled in a master's program to become a high school biology teacher, and I must complete a master’s thesis project (related to education) in order to do so. I have chosen to do my thesis on comparing the experiences of transgender students in high school versus college. I am a supporter of LGBTQ rights and hope that my research could be useful for transgender students and school personnel alike in identifying and/or creating safer campuses.

I have contacted the LGBTQ clubs at several colleges (including ones in my area & my alma mater) in order to gather participants. However, I have gotten 0 responses so far. Unfortunately, my college is only allowing me to collect data until the end of this weekend! So if you, or someone you know, identifies as transgender & has been enrolled in an undergraduate college program within the last year, please do me a HUGE favor and ask them to take this survey as soon as possible! Thank you so much!

Note: It is entirely anonymous! The survey does NOT collect your name, address, school name, etc! Survey link: https://goo.gl/forms/igBw7skVT4YrWzAU2

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jessie C
New

Postby peiseman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm

My name is Phil Eiseman (PDEiseman@umsl.edu); my advisor (Dr. Zoë Peterson) and I are conducting a study about gender identity in adults living in the U.S. who identify as trans, genderqueer, and/or nonbinary, or who have gone through social, medical, and/or legal gender transition. The study aims to validate a new measure of gender identity for trans people; if you participate, you will be asked to complete a series of questionnaires. It takes about 30-60 minutes to complete, and a $5 donation to a charity you select from a list of charities will be made as compensation for participating. The study link is:
https://umsl.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID= ... u7iwGcCVCd

Thank you for your interest!
peiseman
New

Postby nexyjo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 pm

peiseman wrote:My name is Phil Eiseman (PDEiseman@umsl.edu); my advisor (Dr. Zoë Peterson) and I are conducting a study about gender identity in adults living in the U.S. who identify as trans, genderqueer, and/or nonbinary, or who have gone through social, medical, and/or legal gender transition. The study aims to validate a new measure of gender identity for trans people; if you participate, you will be asked to complete a series of questionnaires. It takes about 30-60 minutes to complete, and a $5 donation to a charity you select from a list of charities will be made as compensation for participating. The study link is:
https://umsl.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID= ... u7iwGcCVCd

Thank you for your interest!

That was grueling.

You may wish to take another look at the flow of your questions. In some sections, answering the first set of questions eliminates the remaining questions' relevance.
nexyjo
Board Moderator

Postby MikiSJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 pm

nexyjo wrote:You may wish to take another look at the flow of your questions. In some sections, answering the first set of questions eliminates the remaining questions' relevance.

I cannot agree more. Duplicative questions are meant to weed out false answers - NOT BORE THE SURVEY TAKER TO SIMPLY CLOSING THE SURVEY AND MAKING POST SUCH AS THE ONE I AM MAKING NOW.

Re-write your questionnaire and re-submit.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby l.orellana » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:10 am

Hi all,

My name’s Ligia. I do research on the benefits of fiction, as part of my PhD at the University of Sheffield.

I’m currently running an online study about transgender representation in the media and fiction, and I’m looking for trans folks who are over 18 to participate in it. Participants are asked to read or view two stories and report their impressions about them (the stories do not depict violent behaviour, sexual images nor surgical/medical themes). Other questions relate to fiction, trans media representation, and statements about the participants' personal experience, some specifically as a trans person, and others as a broad description of themselves.

Please send me a PM if you'd like the link to the information sheet about the study and the questionnaire. Requesting the link does not entail an obligation for you to respond the questionnaire. The link will lead you to a participant information sheet so you can decide if you'd like to participate. Your responses remain anonymous.

If you're not interested in participating but know someone who might be, please let them know about the study and my contact details (l.orellana@sheffield.ac.uk).

Thank you very much for your help.
l.orellana
New

Postby ReactiveShielding » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:39 am

Hello everyone,

I originally posted this advertisement on the General Forum by mistake, and so by request am reposting it here. My sincere apologies for any disruption the first posting caused. We are taking this research study, including the data collected and the confidentiality of our participants, very seriously, and will work to be even more careful in the future.

We’re three researchers at Plymouth State University, and we’re looking for transgender individuals over the age of 18 who are willing to discuss their experiences with gender identity. This study has been approved by PSU's Institutional Review Board, and is being funded by a grant from the Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues in Counseling. Any participation is anonymous and all identifying information will be removed from any publication or presentation of the data.

Specifically, we’re interested in experiences that led to mistrust or decisions not to share feelings or gender identity with others. “Reactive shielding” is a term we’ve created to describe the moment transpeople decide not to trust someone and hide their identity based upon an encounter with cissexist (prejudice or discrimination against transgender people) statements or actions by individuals or groups, or specific environmental cues that result in not feeling safe that their gender identity will be validated or respected.

The purpose of the study is to identify common themes and contexts that lead to Reactive Shielding. The results of this study will be published and disseminated to help mental health and other healthcare professionals better understand common experiences, and learn pitfalls and mistakes they can avoid so as to become better allies, advocates, and helpers for the transgender community. It is our sincere hope that this research will a real impact on improving the quality of counseling services received by transpeople and those exploring their gender identity.

The study will involve two telephone interviews of approximately 30-60 minutes in length. A list of the interview questions will be provided to you at least one week in advance of the initial interview. There is no financial or other cost to participate in the study and participation in the study is entirely voluntary.

For the full advertisement, including information how to participate along with an in-depth review of confidentiality, risks, and benefits of participating in this study – please visit this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/589 ... Advert.pdf
If preferred, this advertisement can also be provided as a GoogleDocs document or in another format, just contact us in a PM on these forums.

We’ll try to respond to simple questions here, but for more detailed information please contact us at reactiveshieldingstudy@protonmail.com or visit the link above. Thank you very much!
ReactiveShielding
New

Postby kiki44 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:49 am

I'm looking for a trans-identified person who might like to help me with a paper I am writing. The assignment is to write a paper about a diagnosis in the diagnostic and statistical manual (DSM) that we do not believe should be included in the manual. I have chosen to write about gender dysphoria because I believe that someone who identifies as a gender that might be "incongruent" with their physical anatomy does not constitute a mental disorder. I feel that what the diagnosis does is to socially construct mental illness for transgender people. I'm aware that there are a unique set of social stressors that come with being transgender, and that these stressors will frequently refer the person to a counselor. However I feel that the person could just as easily be treated for anxiety, depression, or however else the mental problem manifests itself. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about this, particularly if you identify as trans, and believe that this category in the DSM should not exist. Or if you have had a negative experience with a counselor who was treating you for gender dysphoria (or gender identity disorder, as it was previously called.)

I'm aware that this category is currently the only means by which most people are able to get insurance coverage by which to medically transition, (which I am by no means opposed to!) I just don't want this to be the "hook" by which the system tricks people into classifying themselves with a mental disorder. Basically, I'd just like to ask you a few questions about your experience and what your perspective on the DSM is.

At the link below you can find a PDF of the DSM diagnosis. Page 4 lists the diagnostic criteria.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Dysphoria

Thanks for reading and I really hope that I have not offended anyone. For what it's worth, I am a female who does not identify as such. When I was a child, I identified as a boy, and now I just identify as human. I know that doesn't make me trans in anyway, but I just thought I'd be open about that :)

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
kiki44
New

Postby kiki44 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello everyone,
So I posted before looking for just one person who might be willing to talk with me about their experiences with Gender Dysphoria in the DSM. Basically I am writing a paper about how gender is socially constructed and we shouldn't pathologize people by putting a category in a book dedicated to MENTAL DISORDERS that describes the experience of trans people. By creating a diagnosis of "gender dysphoria" what we are essentially saying is that there are only two genders and if you experience distress due to living in a culture that has certain expectations of you due to your gender- that the problem is with YOU not the CULTURE. I think this is total BS. I feel that the category of "gender dysphoria" should be removed from the DSM, and that people who want to medically transition should rather be evaluated for signs of MENTAL HEALTH, (not an illness!!) before being allowed to do so. This just makes better sense to me. I don't see gender as binary and I feel that the whole category of "gender dysphoria" in the DSM ascribes to the concept that if you feel distress there is something "wrong with you". So I'm looking for a trans-identified person who shares this opinion and feels that the concept that they should be labelled with a mental illness is bullshit.

The link that I posted previously apparently doesn't work, but it was just to show you what the current criteria in the DSM are. You can find these just as easily by googling "DSM 5 Gender Dysphoria Criteria". I hate technology and now I can't find my old post to edit it. :(...
kiki44
New

Postby Demon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 am

kiki44 wrote:Hello everyone,
So I posted before looking for just one person who might be willing to talk with me about their experiences with Gender Dysphoria in the DSM. Basically I am writing a paper about how gender is socially constructed and we shouldn't pathologize people by putting a category in a book dedicated to MENTAL DISORDERS that describes the experience of trans people. By creating a diagnosis of "gender dysphoria" what we are essentially saying is that there are only two genders and if you experience distress due to living in a culture that has certain expectations of you due to your gender- that the problem is with YOU not the CULTURE. I think this is total BS. I feel that the category of "gender dysphoria" should be removed from the DSM, and that people who want to medically transition should rather be evaluated for signs of MENTAL HEALTH, (not an illness!!) before being allowed to do so. This just makes better sense to me. I don't see gender as binary and I feel that the whole category of "gender dysphoria" in the DSM ascribes to the concept that if you feel distress there is something "wrong with you". So I'm looking for a trans-identified person who shares this opinion and feels that the concept that they should be labelled with a mental illness is bullshit.

The link that I posted previously apparently doesn't work, but it was just to show you what the current criteria in the DSM are. You can find these just as easily by googling "DSM 5 Gender Dysphoria Criteria". I hate technology and now I can't find my old post to edit it. :(...

My mental health is about zero, and this worries me, reminds of the logical scenario of where you are in a pit you can't get out of it, aka "pitfall". Because my mental health is zero, would I be denied of the very thing which may help my mental health.
The logical problem is, if someone needs to be mentally healthy to get a sex-reassignment, but is mentally unhealthy, and needs a sex-reassignment to become mentally healthy, it gives a catch22 in where they are stuck in a pitfall, a causal roadblock.
these are a few of the 3 primary emotions i feel, middle finger to you
Demon

Postby Aviscer8 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Greetings. My name is Gabriel and I am a 4th year undergraduate student from Alberta, Canada. I am a sociology major conducting a survey on trans people who experienced gender dysphoria as a child. This is an anonymous pilot study that will not be published. It will only take 10 minutes of your time. Thank you. To be eligible for this study, you must be 18 years of age and either 1) in the process of questioning your gender identity or 2) identify as Trans.

Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y36Y7R5
Aviscer8
New

Previous

Return to Politics, Philosophy, and Science

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm