My SRS

RLT, HRT, FFS, and SRS Support

My SRS

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:38 pm

OK, questions?
Amy Farrah Fowler

Re: My SRS

Postby VirginiaHall » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:40 pm

I'm new to this board so maybe I should know--to whom did you go and was it what you hoped?
VirginiaHall
Regular

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:00 am

Cleveland Clinic.

I haven't seen the results yet, but I expect to look like a rare open-faced roast beef sandwich that's been run over by a car. Nevertheless, I'm very grateful there is practically no pain.

I had a wish list and provided photos. The surgeon said she'd been able to get a lot of my requests done for my designer vagina, and that I should be very pleased.

I just took Percocet for the first time in about 24 hours, for discomfort from the packing and catheter.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby VirginiaHall » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:50 am

Ah! The "Clinic." One of the top medical centers in the world. Did not know they were doing SRS there.

It is so wonderful what has happened in the evolution of pain management. Percocet is good. They used morphine analogues in my day and they wore off all too quickly.

I had similar views about the surgery looking kind of gross, but when I got home, the first thing my cis dyke girlfriend want to see was the result and she freaked not because it looked bad, but she said because it was unbelievably real.

You don't know me from Adam's off ox and why should you listen to someone who went through this coming up on 40 years ago?, but here goes nothing: Love yourself for this newfound beauty between your legs. Make it yours. As infants we learn our bodies--proprioception. Relearn. Remap. Use a mirror if need be so you know the new part as well as you do the rest of your body until it's old hat. Others--men or women depending which way you roll--will love you for it and get very excited by it--just reacting to the rare beef comment. I said almost exactly the same and I wish I had not said it. It has stood the test of time--stealth with both men cis het men and with dykes.

Heal quickly.

Beat wishes.

V--
VirginiaHall
Regular

Postby kris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 pm

More of a congrats for the time being. You have passed the 'no one can take this from me' point. I will be interested to hear how your recovery is set up and what your dilation schedule ends up being. I didn't realize how varied it was from one surgeon/ medical team to another.

So congrats again! Hope you are one of those people who sleeps well on her back.
kris

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:17 pm

My comment was intended to reflect blood, scabs, swelling, bruising, stitches, not what it will look like.

Thank you so much! :D

The first day was a PCA button administering instant IV Dilaudid. Since then, oral Percocet on request.

Cleveland, the #2 hospital in the country, started its program 2 years ago. Mayo (#1) just started. Boston General, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Montefiore, & University of Maryland, are all just up & running or about to open. More clinics are coming to meet demand.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Natasha_Lynn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Cleveland, the #2 hospital in the country, started its program 2 years ago. Mayo (#1) just started. Boston General, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Montefiore, & University of Maryland, are all just up & running or about to open. More clinics are coming to meet demand.

There are a lot of clinics opening up, but always do your research before selecting one. Boston Medical Center just started performing surgeries within the last year. From what I have heard nearly everyone who goes there requires revisions, and that their surgeons are extremely inexperienced.

Amy, can't wait to hear how your recovery progresses!
Partially disturbed, totally awesome.
Natasha_Lynn

Location: On a small serene island located in a stygian charnel realm of horror

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Anecdotal comment (for what it is worth):

I think the term 'best' is relative to your personal outcome. If a hospital/surgeon does 100 operations, 98 of which are totally successful, the noise the two unsuccessful operations generates will override the good ones hands down.

Most of the hospitals Amy listed are training hospitals. To me, this means you have really good doctors who have eschewed private practice to teach new resident students and fellows their specialties. This is good.

I had cutting ( :) ) edge surgery done on a lung 10 years ago at the University of California, San Francisco teaching hospital. UCSF is world renowned and it attracts the best students as residents and fellows.

The anesthesia staff placed a morphine block in my cervical spine so I could use a PCA machine to handle my pain - which was an eleven due to chest drains rubbing against my lung. Well, the resident who placed the block did not go deep enough into the spinal cord canal so that every time I would push the 'button' the morphine would simply dribble down my back necessitating a call to the floor nurse for an injection into the drip line in my hand's veins - near instant relief. The anesthesia group totally ignored my daily complaints.

I was in hospital 11 days and they never did fix the block and when they pulled it out the last day, one of the residents remarked - "oh, it wasn't deep enough". Sigh! :(

I would go back to UCSF in a second if I could get the same thoracic surgeon, Dr. David Jablons, and his crew. I would go back to UCSF in a second and half if David was not available. Maybe I would ask for an on-call anesthetist to put the block in. :wink:
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Only slight swelling, one clot, no obvious bruising.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:20 am

So shocked there was no pain or even discomfort removing the packing.

Likewise instead of the long, slow, extremely uncomfortable catheter removal I've always endured before, I felt like I was having a pleasantly warm, brief accident. It felt 100% like a short pee.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Absolutely stunned there are no more questions! :o
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby VirginiaHall » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Absolutely stunned there are no more questions! :o

What I want to know is how you react/reacted when you got to see how things look without packing and bandages. Speaking of pee, silly as it sounds, I had waited a long time to pee the "real" way. I looked between my legs and watch the pee stream headed down . . . but that was my story. What about yours? Enquiring minds want to know!

Hope your butt isn't too sore from being in bed. I sure got antsy.

V--
VirginiaHall
Regular

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:21 pm

VirginiaHall wrote:
Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Absolutely stunned there are no more questions! :o

What I want to know is how you react/reacted when you got to see how things look without packing and bandages. Speaking of pee, silly as it sounds, I had waited a long time to pee the "real" way. I looked between my legs and watch the pee stream headed down . . . but that was my story. What about yours? Enquiring minds want to know!

Hope your butt isn't too sore from being in bed. I sure got antsy.

V--

A little sore & itchy.

When it happens for me, I'll let you know. It's only been out 7-8 hrs so far.

As for reaction, tucking did not prepare me anywhere near adequately. It's like waking up, walking into the bathroom, looking up into the mirror, and seeing you now have 2 noses. Well . . . that's interesting!
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby marci » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 am

I've no questions, just congratulations - you go girl! :thumb:
Oh I wanna be a rubberband girl...
marci

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:54 am

marci wrote:I've no questions, just congratulations - you go girl! :thumb:

Thank you. :)

Peeing has gone from putting out fires with a hose to a sprinkler system with a 360-degree sweep.

First impressions of dilating: ugh and OW!
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Home tomorrow, but still off work a week and a half longer than planned.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby kris » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 pm

How many days ago did you have surgery?
kris

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:50 pm

kris wrote:How many days ago did you have surgery?

7. I planned to be back to work a week from today. The surgeon compelled me to accept staying off all next week and the week after. I'm worried about keeping my job.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby MyNicky » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:42 am

Quick question, less about looks and finished results, but how nervous were you going in? And were you excited or terrified or a little of both?
OK, so a FEW quick questions
Do what makes you happy and don't back down.
Never negotiate away who you are.
MyNicky
Regular

Postby VirginiaHall » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:30 am

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:
kris wrote:How many days ago did you have surgery?

7. I planned to be back to work a week from today. The surgeon compelled me to accept staying off all next week and the week after. I'm worried about keeping my job.

Heal quickly. My surgery was ~40 years ago. Can't be! It was just yesterday!? Anyway it likely was not as good in aftercare, but the first week back at work I worked half days, which was ok. The second week I was working full days and exhausted during the second half of the day.

In six weeks post-op I was class-five rock climbing, so my energy did come back.

Get plenty of rest between things. You'll bounce back! Just think--you have your whole life ahead of you!

Again, you don't know me, but for your reading pleasure I would like to share this very personal account of the first few days after SRS (as we called it back in the ancient days). So many possibilities. So much hope--all realized.

I was stuck for an extra day in Denver after surgery for one night and it would cost a fortune to change my ticket for the flight home. I ended up at a hotel by the old Stapylton Airport. They had an "entertainment" where a fortune teller--a guy with a very trim beard--walked around the tables, looked at palms, and told fortunes and by the looks one people faces, they were amased. All this over dinner.

He came to my table and being a pretty good tarot reader, and so I was skeptical. I thought, let me see whatcha got. He said some things which were true and then he said--I'll never forget his words to this two-weeks post-op girl (me): "You will find happiness. Happiness beyond your wildest dreams.Happiness you did not think even existed!" He was absolutely right! I'm no fortuneteller, but I predict the same for you.

I hope my post below connects. Embrace these days and every day afterwards.

https://medium.com/@Virginiahallath/transsexing-through-the-looking-glass-219b64b33d39

V--
VirginiaHall
Regular

Postby MikiSJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:Peeing has gone from putting out fires with a hose to a sprinkler system with a 360-degree sweep.

THAT is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo effing funny! Thank you for sharing.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby Danette Celeste » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Hmmm,

Do you mean like this?

Or like this?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

~ Liz
"actually, i just woke up one day and decided i didn't want to feel like that anymore, or ever again. so i changed"

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." ~ Shaw

I am Elizabeth
Danette Celeste

Postby kris » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Danette Celeste wrote:Hmmm,

Do you mean like this?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

~ Liz

That is just so wrong.

I mean, shouldn't they be oriented 180° the other way?
kris

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 pm

kris wrote:
Danette Celeste wrote:Hmmm,

Do you mean like this?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

~ Liz

That is just so wrong.

I mean, shouldn't they be oriented 180° the other way?

It mostly thinks it's a bidet.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby MikiSJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:It mostly thinks it's a bidet.

In the 1980s I had my own homebuilding business and when I started out my houses had a bidet as a regular feature in the master bathroom.

I stopped adding the bidets after one of my customers told me she was glad I put the foot washer in the bathroom as she was an emergency department doctor during the day and spent almost all day on her feet.
MikiSJ

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 pm

MikiSJ wrote:
Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:It mostly thinks it's a bidet.

In the 1980s I had my own homebuilding business and when I started out my houses had a bidet as a regular feature in the master bathroom.

I stopped adding the bidets after one of my customers told me she was glad I put the foot washer in the bathroom as she was an emergency department doctor during the day and spent almost all day on her feet.

Poor thing never saw The Ropers or "Crocodile" Dundee.

"Hey, Helen! Somebody put two johns in here."

"Oh, Stanley! That's a bidet; they're very Continental."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYIe9o2jMSE
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Danette Celeste » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 am

When we lived in Greece for two years, my kids were about 8 & 5 years old. The house we rented had a bidet. My kids had never seen one. They were most intrigued and would spend hours turning it off an on. Since water was a premium, we had to turn off the supply line. Plus, without a butt covering the thing, it sprayed water outside on the floor, which was marble, and when wet, was like an ice rink.

Such memories!

~ LIz
"actually, i just woke up one day and decided i didn't want to feel like that anymore, or ever again. so i changed"

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." ~ Shaw

I am Elizabeth
Danette Celeste

Postby PossiblyAnna » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Congrats! :D
Wacky acoustic transgender nonsense. https://www.facebook.com/polythenepamduo/
PossiblyAnna

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:55 pm

PossiblyAnna wrote:Congrats! :D

Thank you! :D

I had my first "electric shock" today.

My ex-counselor was astounded that I'm up & around. (He didn't think I'd be out of bed yet.)

My nurse practitioner was equally surprised & also noted a very significant improvement in my mood.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 am

Each day I try to have a reason to leave, so I'll be up doing things rather than lying in bed all day.

Sunday, I went supplies shopping & to celebrate National Ice Cream Day. Monday, to see a movie, food shopping & visited the library's book drop. Yesterday, to my mental health followup appointment, shopping for more food, picked up DVDs waiting on hold at the library & went to a drive-thru. Today, I plan to see another movie & pick up some medical supplies I'm hoping Medicaid will cover. Friday, I must drive for hours each way to see my gynecologist & maybe pick up take-out for supper.

But tomorrow? I have no plans yet what to do tomorrow.

It's been 2 weeks--I'm ready to return to work, but not. I may feel normal, but I understand why my surgeon won't let me work yet: I feel fine, but have no stamina. I'd certainly wear out immediately if I had to work in heat & humidity. My body's using a lot of energy knitting itself back together.

So, if I still have my shift, my position, or even a job by then, I go back to work after next week.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Friday I drove hundreds of miles and was out and about for roughly 7 hours.

A few hours ago, I started figuring out a way to pee that doesn't require wiping my entire backside. Since it's going down but sharply backward, I began scooting forward and leaning over, trial & error, shifting a bit each time. It's getting better, less wet each bathroom visit. But I still look forward to a urethral revision. :roll:
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby jentay1367 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:15 pm

No comments. There's cso much anecdoatal information out there abou this these days. But I do want to wish you congratulations on your Birthday of sorts. I'm happy for you that it has gone so well and so uneventfully. Others aren't nearly as bless with such good fortune. Hope you're continuing to heal well. Jess
jentay1367
Regular

Postby Lisa_K » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:But I still look forward to a urethral revision. :roll:

It's been what? Less than a month right? You do realize you've got a couple months of healing to do before you even know where and how things are going to end up? Patience, my dear. Give things a chance to settle down.
Lisa_K

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Lisa_K wrote:
Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:But I still look forward to a urethral revision. :roll:

It's been what? Less than a month right? You do realize you've got a couple months of healing to do before you even know where and how things are going to end up? Patience, my dear. Give things a chance to settle down.

I know things will change as the swelling goes down. :thumb:
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:04 pm

jentay1367 wrote:No comments. There's cso much anecdoatal information out there abou this these days. But I do want to wish you congratulations on your Birthday of sorts. I'm happy for you that it has gone so well and so uneventfully. Others aren't nearly as bless with such good fortune. Hope you're continuing to heal well. Jess

Thank you!

Still no pain except when putting weight on that area or when dilating. As for the latter, I told my doctor it feels as if skin above the vagina is being pulled down into it by the dilator, pulling skin farther above that has stitches in it, which is where I feel sharp pains going in. She said that's exactly what's happening.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:18 pm

MyNicky wrote:Quick question, less about looks and finished results, but how nervous were you going in? And were you excited or terrified or a little of both?
OK, so a FEW quick questions

My anxiety kept rising every day I had to wait once the surgery had been scheduled. I was climbing the walls with anticipation: I wanted it over & done with!

The drive up, the wait to go in, and the preliminaries in the OR were not as bothersome as the dentists' office. I'd taken my daily Zoloft, and maybe took a pre-emptive Xanax.

The last thing I remember before drug-induced amnesia was talking with the surgeon. I don't have any memory of talking to the anesthesiologist, being told I was getting sedation, a mask over my face & counting backwards, none of that. My mind was wiped from probably five minutes before going under until over three hours following. The drugs blanked me out entirely regarding the recovery room--no waking up, being questioned to see if I knew when, where & who I was, being told what's next--no memory. Everything starts up again being wheeled to my hospital room. There's a permanent 9-hour gap from a few minutes before going under, 6 hours & 6 minutes of surgery, and over 3 hours in a recovery room.

By the time I got to my room, I was hungry, thirsty & ready for food. My reward? Ice chips all evening.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby marci » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:22 am

Uhm, the last time (recent) I had general anesthesia (bladder tumor errgh, all looking good) I opted out of the prep drug just out of curiosity - I'd had a couple of colonoscopies in the last 10 years and the prep drugs really messed with my perception. So the anethesioligist said sure and I went that way - was really strange wheeling down to the ER completely straight (I'm not kidding, never did this before over multiple surgeries, and I'm an epic fan of mind altering drugs) but afterwards there were no fuzzy edges to memory, no hangover - the only thing affected was from when the anesthesia took effect to when I came to again. :lol:

Anyway glad you're healing well, just had to share that. :thumb:
Oh I wanna be a rubberband girl...
marci

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 pm

I was back to work at less than 4 weeks (doctor's orders vs. the two weeks I had planned). :|

I had my second exam today. The doctor was very impressed I'd fully recovered in only 5 weeks. :thumb:

I went from 16 cm long to 12 cm deep. (TMI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbd1trNz9bY

I'm starting to pee straight now. :mrgreen:

Incisions are becoming invisible--doctor thinks no one will be able to tell I've had surgery. :D
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby jentay1367 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:46 am

Hi Amy, I looked for it but couldn't find it. Who was the Doctor? Who actually did the deed and howcmany has he done? Thanks, Jess
jentay1367
Regular

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 am

jentay1367 wrote:Hi Amy, I looked for it but couldn't find it. Who was the Doctor? Who actually did the deed and howcmany has he done? Thanks, Jess

I went to Cleveland Clinic, a gynecologist who specializes in pelvic floor reconstructions. About 2/week.

http://transcaresite.org/?p=2165
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby jentay1367 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:44 pm

It's amazing and heartening to see so many more Hospitals and Surgeons adopting the discipline. I think it bodes well for all of us. Thanks as always, Amy.
jentay1367
Regular

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 am

jentay1367 wrote:It's amazing and heartening to see so many more Hospitals and Surgeons adopting the discipline. I think it bodes well for all of us. Thanks as always, Amy.

Cleveland Clinic is developing a transgender surgical fellowship. Mount Sinai in New York just started training its own first fellow. Meanwhile, in the last 5 years, new surgery clinics have sprung up in New York (Mount Sinai, Montefiore, NYU Langone), Baltimore (University of Maryland; Johns Hopkins has scheduled its first SRS case since 1979), Boston, Cleveland, as well as in Texas, Washington, several locations in California, and a number of other cities. Also, pediatric transgender clinics to manage puberty blocking, HRT, support groups & therapy for trans youth have opened in dozens of states, even in the Deep South.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby jentay1367 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:34 am

I love good news! Thanks, Amy....hope you're healing well. Jess
jentay1367
Regular

Return to Transition

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm