What was your "AHA" moment?

Share your most memorable experiences

What was your "AHA" moment?

Postby Composed.Chaos » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 pm

I feel like I had an "A-ha!" moment when something in my head began clicking for me, but I think a lot of people probably do. So what was yours like?
Composed.Chaos
New

Re: What was your "AHA" moment?

Postby Danette Celeste » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 pm

A moment of absolute clarity instantly followed by overwhelming relief that turned to sheer panic.

~ Liz
"actually, i just woke up one day and decided i didn't want to feel like that anymore, or ever again. so i changed"

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." ~ Shaw

I am Elizabeth
Danette Celeste

Postby KoroSensei » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 pm

My "aha" moment was me crying in corner of my bedroom, because I hated myself so much that I didn't want to do anything. When I finally pulled myself together, I decided to write a list of the things that I wanted to change so that I could try and work on my problems. When I realized the things I wanted couldn't be achieved because of my estrogen curse, I decided to start googling what was going on with me.
And I found myself here, two days after that break down. And I've been doing a lot better since then.
It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.
-Albus Dumbledore.
KoroSensei

Postby Savage She-Hulk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 pm

My AHA moment was, needless to say...

I'm odds and ends, but I'll be stumbling away!
Slowly learning that life is OK!
Say after me,
"It's no better to be safe than sorry!"

...I couldn't resist. :P
Savage She-Hulk
Regular

Postby CeliaEriksson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Staring in the mirror aged about 14, having put my Mother's foundation and lippy on, getting the foundation all over my black shirt collar and seeing my pretty cousin looking back at me.

My Mother scolded me, shaking the shirt in front of my face the very next morning with ' what's this, don't you dare touch my make-up, I've a good mind to tell your Father.' I said nothing, l remember wondering why l had not cleaned the shirt.
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby kris » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:48 pm

My ‘aha’ moment was 1987-2014. I had some time to mull it over, I guess.
kris

Postby MikiSJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Mine occurred sometime in late 1965 when I was wondering who I was after I went on active duty. I remember reading the SF Chronicle about the drag show at Finocchios and one performer, Charles Pierce, in particular. I found out that he (he called himself a male actress) had written a memoir. I ordered a copy and read, and re-read the book and said - this is me.

I spent the next year and half very concerned about my decision and I put me on the back burner for the next 45 years.

My lasting A, HA moment came in late 2012 after I had been retired and no longer had a reason to hide myself.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby CamTheFTM » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 pm

The final "AHA" moment that prompted action was reading about a friend's son starting his transition. I read his story, then sobbed as I mowed my lawn, realizing that all the thoughts/feelings I'd had all along resonated exactly with the friend's son's experience. And then, I started the gradual process of altering my life to be me. :mrgreen:
CamTheFTM
New

Postby Tara » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:50 pm

June 2010, I was researching something entirely unrelated, but followed the link rabbit hole, and ended up on a web page (I don't remember which, now) that gave a very clear definition and description of what it is to be transgender.

And it struck me. That's me they're describing. :-o

That's me.

Wow, that explains so very much. That's me! Hurrah! I mean, oh crap! Or is it yay? I don't know. But that's me.

Yeah, that was my "aha" moment.
~*~ Tara

“What do you fear, lady?” he asked.
“A cage,” she said. “To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Tara

Postby julie.chan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:00 am

Many years ago, I was introduced to the idea of gender dysphoria by a documentary that was airing on a local channel. Probably middle school, maybe late elementary school. I thought it sounded exactly like me. I *did* wish I was a girl. But at the same time, I was terrified by what I saw, because yeah, the road that is transitioning is long and genuinely scary. So I latched onto whatever source of denial I could, starting with the false premise that you're only trans if you're delusional about your sex. Many other sources of denial were conjured up in the following years.

How I came out of that denial is a long and very personal story, but the short story is that after a long time, the excuses I came up for my (well-hidden) feminine expressions and desires became too ridiculous. The final nail in the coffin for my denial was when I accidentally stumbled across information about HRT, I read it, and it sounded like exactly what I've wanted all these years. After a few more days of reflection and thinking back through my life, I accepted the truth.
julie.chan
Regular

Postby marie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 am

kris wrote:My ‘aha’ moment was 1987-2014. I had some time to mull it over, I guess.
1972 - 2014. The long 'aha'.

Now I'm in the middle of a long 'Goodbye to all that'. :(
marie

Return to Out and About

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm