Job Hunting

Share your most memorable experiences

Job Hunting

Postby Savage She-Hulk » Fri May 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Sigh.

As if filling out online applications didn't suck enough already, now ya can't even pick "Rather Not Say" when they ask for gender, anymore...

When the hell did that happen?

Even when I identified as male, I always chose RNS.

This is a real bummer...
Savage She-Hulk
Regular

Re: Job Hunting

Postby MorganWoolf » Fri May 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I always find it to be a pleasant surprise when I get the choice of "rather not say". I don't see it very often. If I don't get it then when I can I leave it blank. I'm assuming the online application didn't give you that option. :(
Do not place me by a star where only it's light can encompass me, instead place me in the darkness. There I can behold the lights of all the stars in the universe.
MorganWoolf

Postby Savage She-Hulk » Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Nope. Actually, I didn't see that option for Race, either.

What gives?
Savage She-Hulk
Regular

Postby MorganWoolf » Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm

They didn't have the option for race either?! That's just wrong....I never want to reveal that in a job application...or any application for that matter. Who cares?

Maybe that's a sign...maybe you shouldn't work there :/
Do not place me by a star where only it's light can encompass me, instead place me in the darkness. There I can behold the lights of all the stars in the universe.
MorganWoolf

Postby MikiSJ » Sat May 20, 2017 12:27 am

I am in the process of trying to refinance my home loan and one of the forms the lender uses offer the Decline to State option.

The Federal folk and some states collect demographic information to maintain adherence to the various programs they oversee. Their systems may only track male/female and the system burps when someone doesn't play the game correctly.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby Yessie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 am

In the state of Arizona, you can change your gender marker with a letter from your HRT physician. It was a real joy for me in my latest job application to apply and be hired for a job with the female gender box checked!
Jessie-Belle
Living the Dream in SE Arizona!
Yessie
New

Postby mitzidog » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 am

More and more in the UK public sector they are doing "name-blind" recruitment. While this was initially to combat perceived unconscious bias towards names that were more common among Black and Minority Ethnic applicants, it also means that the gender of the applicant is protected from any unconscious bias.

Of course names are required for the interview process, and I'm not sure I can think of a way to have interviews where names and/or physical characteristics are invisible to the interviewers. There could be a recruitment process without interview, but I suspect that's a way off, at least in the public sector.

However, there is always an equal opportunities form in which demographic information is collected. This is never available to the assessing panel either at application sift or interview.
mitzidog

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:34 pm

mitzidog wrote:"name-blind" recruitment.

Something akin to this predates the "name-blind" technique. Musicians, specifically symphony types, developed a method of hiding the gender of the performer and that involved auditioning behind a curtain, typically a fine cloth like bedding sheets,

Using this technique allowed female performers to attain near parity in some symphony orchestras.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Return to Out and About

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm