Dress for her coming out party

Presentation, personal style, tips, how to’s

Dress for her coming out party

Postby MomTgDaughter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:50 pm

I am having a coming out party for my daughter in early June, it has been 7 years, but many of our friends and relatives have not met her since she has transitioned. She has been very shy about it, but has more confidence in herself now to present herself a girl. Here are the outfits she and I have narrowed down:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kate-spade ... pe=product

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ted-baker- ... pe=product

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ted-baker- ... pe=product

She is 16, 5'2" 115 lbs, she has been on hormones for many years now and have small breasts and thick hair to the middle of her back. We thoughtwe would put this up to get the feedback from her peers.
MomTgDaughter
New

Re: Dress for her coming out party

Postby MikiSJ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 pm

The Kate Spade dress has my vote. Cute, not too cute. Sophisticated for the right age...and, I like it best. But I think it best she should choose. I mean she is 16 and all growed up - right :!:

I am glad you are with her on this. Whisper in her ear your choice.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby AbbyGray » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 pm

Love the red dress!
It's lovely that you support her so much!
Don't eat the purple cheese. Pratchett
To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin
AbbyGray

Location: a bit south of Manchester (the original, not the American one.)

Postby REM1126 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:41 am

It depends on whether they are cut the same, and fit her the same, but you may be able to alter whatever you get to fit perfectly. Or, they may all fit great right off the rack.

All things being equal, I prefer the "Deep Pink" one as number one and the Flora and Fauna print as an alternate. But, ya know, I am 55, so whichever one she likes best is the right one. :wink:
REM1126

Postby Roni57 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 am

I love the res one!
Roni57

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm

By all means let her decide for herself, but do show the results of this thread to her, mom, so that she can have some idea of how others would view her fashion taste and style.

>>>I vote for the red, or dark pink, dress. It is simple, but oh, so cute and attractive. A perfect match for her cuteness and desire to be pretty, a perfect match for a party dress.

*The flora and fauna dress is too complicated, too sophisticated, too avant guard, IMO, for a sixteen year old girl.

*The Kate Spade dress looks to common and casual. Her dress should be special for a special occasion, and not mundane, IMO.

I wish you and her well for the coming out party. May it be a special event in her life, worthy of celebration year after year. I wish the best, from Ponytails, the Twin Tail Advocate
"My family as begged me to shame not the name of Romeo, but thy male will commit suicide, and die. I will then take thy holy name of Juliet, and be baptized anew as a cute teen girl!"

-Juliet, from Romeo&Juliet, Ep6: Wondering Son anime
CuteButLooksPregnant

Postby REM1126 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:56 pm

CuteButLooksPregnant wrote:*The Kate Spade dress looks to common and casual. Her dress should be special for a special occasion, and not mundane, IMO.

I think the Kate Spade dress looks business like and conservative. I don't think it looks casual. I mean, it doesn't look really formal either. It is nice. As I said, I prefer the Deep Pink.

I also agree that the Flora and Fauna print is a little busier, but the Deep Pink is a solid color, so any print is going to be busier. It looks pretty to me.
REM1126

Postby MomTgDaughter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:26 pm

MomTgDaughter
New

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:58 pm

One of the guy things that will forever be with me is that I am a 'buyer'. Most women are 'shoppers'. So, stop with the extra choices (although I like the last choice best :wink: ) :!:
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby REM1126 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 pm

For me, it seems a little to revealing. you can see the bra through the lace.

I like the Pink one better.

But, the black one isn't shocking. I mean, it is a lovely dress. Whatever she likes.

I just am a little used to coming out dresses being white, like a cross between a wedding dress and a ball gown. When my sisters were presented, they and all of the other girls wore white. I understand that you are not doing a debutant ball, but it is the same basic idea of presenting your daughter to family and friends as a young woman.
REM1126

Postby MomTgDaughter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:36 am

Yesterday we went to a boutique dress shop, she picked out a dress very similar to this in white https://www.dorriswedding.com/a-line-sh ... 31919.html
MomTgDaughter
New

Postby Schneider881 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Such a liar poser you are.
Schneider881
Regular

Postby MomTgDaughter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 am

Haters will never accept reality.
MomTgDaughter
New

Postby Schneider881 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Don't call me a hater. You have invented a transgender daughter and are living your own fantasies out through "her".
Schneider881
Regular

Postby CeliaEriksson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm

HI!

A bit late on parade for this. I liked a couple of them, the hummingbird one is cute and I like the Black 'lace' sheath one too. The one you both chose is just lovely, I am sure she will look very nice in it. I don't wear dresses or skirts that much, but I 'aint a bad judge.

Celia xx
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby MomTgDaughter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:11 am

CeliaEriksson wrote:HI!

A bit late on parade for this. I liked a couple of them, the hummingbird one is cute and I like the Black 'lace' sheath one too. The one you both chose is just lovely, I am sure she will look very nice in it. I don't wear dresses or skirts that much, but I 'aint a bad judge.

Celia xx

You are an awesome judge, thanks for your support.
MomTgDaughter
New

Postby Shizuku » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:28 am

I like pretty much everything posted in this thread except for the first one. It seems like you already picked one (it's cute, BTW), but I would've suggested the LBD because it's on sale and it seems the most versatile, IMO.

Anyways, congrats to her, and I hope the get-together turns out okay.

Schneider881 wrote:Snip

Your posts in this topic were completely uncalled for. It's mind-boggling to me that you'd vilify a supportive parent. The world needs more of them. Seriously.
Shizuku

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 am

Is this dress, shown below, the one that was selected for the Coming Out Party ? Although not my first choice, but that is just me, it still is a pleasing and pretty choice.

I wish her the best possible experience for her party, and convey thanks to you, mom, for helping out in such an important part of her life.
From Ponytails, a Twin Tail Advocate
"My family as begged me to shame not the name of Romeo, but thy male will commit suicide, and die. I will then take thy holy name of Juliet, and be baptized anew as a cute teen girl!"

CuteButLooksPregnant

Postby Schneider881 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Supportive parents are great - I have them. I just don't believe anything the person is posting. I have seen enough on the internet to know what is fantasy and what isn't.
Schneider881
Regular

Postby MikiSJ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Maybe the mom is a troll, but I hardly think your 30+ posts gives you much of an experiential leg to stand on.

I still like my initial choice, even if I was the only one to do so.
MikiSJ

Postby CuteButLooksPregnant » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Schneider881 wrote: I have seen enough on the internet to know what is fantasy and what isn't.
( italics mine )

That's rather obvious from your comments----YOU are the " fantasy " !

CuteButLooksPregnant

Postby MomTgDaughter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 am

I have the hater on ignore, that is the best way to deal with the trolls.
MomTgDaughter
New

Return to Style

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm