Books on make up techniques.

Presentation, personal style, tips, how to’s

Books on make up techniques.

Postby AbbyGray » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Can any one recommended any books on make up techniques, theory and styles. Sort of every day look type one? My wife saw me for the first time in make up and basically said, you need lessions or read a book on it. She her self does not really wear much make up other than a little eye liner and lipstick when the occasional need occurs so she does not know the best approach either. (actually hardly any of my friends wear much make up thinking about it.)
So I have been watching various videos on line but, they don't explane why they do it that way or why it works. So I am going to tackle this as I normally do with background reading but any tips on suitable books?
Abby.
Don't eat the purple cheese. Pratchett
To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin
AbbyGray

Location: a bit south of Manchester (the original, not the American one.)

Re: Books on make up techniques.

Postby CeliaEriksson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Abby,

Well, I doubt there are any out there if you are looking for the basics. Cis women start putting on make-up as a child and grow up with it. I first tried it at 14 and would put far too much on, particularly foundation, before I realised less is more.

My advice for a basic get out and go for you would be, primer, a little foundation with pink/orange/red concealer, (depending on your beard colour, so pink blonde, red black), underneath if still you have beard growth... brows, mascara, lippy, a little contour with blush on and below cheekbone from ear towards edge of mouth and maybe a touch of shadow. Keep practising and using that for a while, then worry about full contouring, eyeliner, fancy shadows, powders, setting and the like once you have the basics. Good brushes are the key too, buy a decent set and keep them clean, clean, clean!

The reasons I'd say forget the liner at first is many For you should learn which foundation, lips, brow, shadows works with you before liner. If you must, liner needs practice, hold the pencil sideways to, not pointing at your eye. Try dotting your line first along the edge and then join, if using pencil keep it sharp. I prefer a small brush from a small gel pot of liner, which lasts a long time. if you get it wrong it looks awful. Many women look awful by surrounding there entire eye with it. I have seen women in their sixties, having used liner for scores of years misusing eyeliner and looking awful! You will see women of all ages going out with smudging disasters!...

Practise and find how much you need and whether you really need black, a lighter or any eyeliner at all, or if it suits your lower eye at all or going half or three quarter away along your lower eye. I don't always use liner and ruin make-up often with it, yes it's nice with a good mascara on the upper eye and when dolled up I do use the white liner upon my edges too. But liner is far from a must for me on the lower eye.

Everyone is different, practice and finding your look is the only way.... if you need help with applying basics, I could write more for you.

But a book? Doubt it... Celia xx
Last edited by CeliaEriksson on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby Shizuku » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 pm

There's a very informative thread here that might interest you. Sadly, the images in it are no longer viewable. I'll post the link anyway because it points out something that isn't talked about enough: trans women sometimes have to apply makeup differently than cis women. Keep these tips in mind when looking for how-to guides; because of differences in how our skulls are formed (after puberty), there are techniques that can be utilized to feminize our facial features.

http://www.tgboards.com/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=17131
"The true mind can weather all lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed."
Shizuku

Postby Kim 0 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 am

I did have a book a long time ago that was specifically for transwomen (or CD's) and it was actually pretty well-written and practical and had great illustrations. I wish I could remember the author and title but this was like ten years + ago. Still, there's got to be something similar out there these days. Hmmm...

I'd definitely agree with others that there are certainly some very "trans specific" cosmetics techniques that are very helpful, such as so-called "facial contouring" with different shades of primer and foundation.

As far as just general makeup guide books, there are quite a few out there. One that I've had myself for a while is the Sephora:The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority, which is a pretty long and unwieldy title. https://www.amazon.com/Sephora-Ultimate ... 0061466409 It's pretty comprehensive and is lavishly illustrated and full of all kinds of how-to guides and subsections. It's actually a pretty fun book just to read, even if you don't use all the techniques. :)

Keep in mind of course that it's published by Sephora and therefor naturally intended to market their specific products. So, caveat emptor (buyer beware) of course. :wink: Still, it's full of helpful stuff like color or shade matching charts like this:

I think I'm actually a sane woman trapped in a lunatics brain.
Kim 0
Regular

Postby AbbyGray » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you for the tips, like every thing it needs practice I guess! Thank you for the offer Celia :D and that link Shizuku was an interesting read, and now booked marked. Thanks Kim for book recommendations, amazon had it second hand for the price of a sandwich including postage, so why not!
It's weird to watch the make up ninjas on the train, putting on everything while in motion and with just such a small mirror etc. It's like watching a master craftswomen at work! But only out of the corner of my eye, don't want to look to weird or creepy on the train! :D
To those who've survived: Breath. That's it. Once more. Good. Your good. Even if you're not, you're alive. That is a victory. Jemisin
AbbyGray

Postby SophieCantDance » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am

Not a book, obviously, but I found this video very useful for its explanations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1V8Qo5v8Uc
Sophie <3
SophieCantDance

Postby Kim 0 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:46 pm

AbbyGray wrote:Thanks Kim for book recommendations, amazon had it second hand for the price of a sandwich including postage, so why not!

Hey great! I did something helpful and useful for once! :mrgreen: I hope it's the best best sandwich you ever read! :)
I think I'm actually a sane woman trapped in a lunatics brain.
Kim 0
Regular

Postby AbbyGray » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Kim 0 wrote:
AbbyGray wrote:Thanks Kim for book recommendations, amazon had it second hand for the price of a sandwich including postage, so why not!

Hey great! I did something helpful and useful for once! :mrgreen: I hope it's the best best sandwich you ever read! :)

You never know! hay it may even come with slices of cucumber for my eyes!
Hopefully with out pickles though, the vinegar may burn a little bit.
AbbyGray

Postby AbbyGray » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:19 am

Got two books in the end,
Sephora: lovely pictures and some exerllent ideas and tips, seems to require some previous knowledge etc. But lots of inspiration in complete looks. Very much a coffee table book crossed with a glossy magazine. Very enjoyable to read! I really like the mistake fixing section.

DK try it! Make-up techniques.: very much a total beginners guide, lots of charts and tables so you can work out different shapes of your face, eyes etc and how to get the most from them, I.e. What shadow to use with hooded eyes or what eye brow shape works with what etc, covers all face shapes and skin types to. Explanes why different colours work, colour correcting etc. Ideal beginners book.
AbbyGray

Return to Style

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm