Spanx questions

Presentation, personal style, tips, how to’s

Spanx questions

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Until I can spend hundreds of dollars on silicone hip pads, I'm considering using my breast pads (if they look OK). Either way, I'd need to secure them from slipping, since I'm allergic to adhesive, with tight underwear. And since the widest part of the hips is at the great trochanter joint, for the most natural (& shoulder-balancing look), I'd need extended-thigh coverage (or maybe mid-thigh if it's tight enough). So far, it looks like Spanx makes the kind of garment that I need.

Does anyone here have experience with long-length Spanx shapewear?

If so, since I haven't seen any zippers so far, may I ask how quickly you can get them down during an urgent trip to the bathroom? I don't want any accidents--and I'll have extra trouble if I must grab the pads as I take them down, so they don't just fall out on the filth-film-covered restroom floor.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Re: Spanx questions

Postby MikiSJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:50 pm

They are very tight and I think that unless you can keep the pads in place when putting the panties/leggings on, you will find them to be difficult to put pads in them.

I didn't use them for pads, but to keep my belly in and they were most successful. They are comfortable to wear until you need to pee. Make sure you get the type that has the opening in the crotch.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm

MikiSJ wrote:They are very tight and I think that unless you can keep the pads in place when putting the panties/leggings on, you will find them to be difficult to put pads in them.

I'm choosing size based on hip measurements that include the pads. Will that help enough?

MikiSJ wrote:I didn't use them for pads, but to keep my belly in and they were most successful. They are comfortable to wear until you need to pee. Make sure you get the type that has the opening in the crotch.

How big is the opening? I spray everywhere, which is why I wanted (but failed to find) one with a zipper, and asked whether I'd be able to pull them down in time during a bathroom emergency.

Thank you! :D
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Roni57 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:55 am

OMG not wanting to hijack this thread but...years ago,Imwas working in an ER when an elderly woman came in by ambulance. When I interviewed her in the room she whispered that she wasn't able to get her girdle off. Poor thing was so embarrassed.
Roni57
Regular

Postby MikiSJ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:I'm choosing size based on hip measurements that include the pads. Will that help enough?

The sizing is intended to be TIGHT.
Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:How big is the opening? I spray everywhere, which is why I wanted (but failed to find) one with a zipper, and asked whether I'd be able to pull them down in time during a bathroom emergency.

I am not fixed. Although I am small, I find the opening to be in the right place and right size. YMMV!

FYI, the price you pay for Spanx does not come with a non-run warranty.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby Kim 0 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 am

I actually wear Spanx pretty regularly, although not the kind you're talking about, I think. Mine are more just like the standard bikini-panty type and look and fit like regular panties, just with lots of extra elastic and support. Gaffs don't "work" for me and these are a nice alternative and much more comfortable for everyday wear. They seem well-made and last a long time provided you use proper care when you wash them (lingerie bag etc.)

I've never tried the mid-thigh versions but I don't see why they wouldn't work for your application. I have no experience with hip padding but it seems like you could fix them in place with double-sided tape ("fashion" tape) so that they would generally stay in place if you needed to use the restroom and then get dressed again without going through a gymnastic routine in the stall. :lol: I've also seen that there are some support garments that have built-in hip pads that fit in external pockets. Almost like bike shorts with the padding in different places. Never tried these so no first-hand experience.

I've never seen Spanx with a zipper but they do make some that have a kind of flap that allows you to use the restroom (#1 only, I'd say) without removing the whole garment. I've got a Spanx "bodysuit" that has this feature. It's hard to describe other than that it's a flap of material that basically covers your crotch area and then stretches back and fastens in the back with some hooks similar to bra hooks. It definitely works but again, you better be fairly dexterous to get it all refastened properly. I'd recommend some practice before having to use this "for real". There's definitely a learning curve! :mrgreen:
I think I'm actually a sane woman trapped in a lunatics brain.
Kim 0
Regular

Postby nexyjo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

Kim 0 wrote:... I have no experience with hip padding but it seems like you could fix them in place with double-sided tape ("fashion" tape) ...

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:...Either way, I'd need to secure them from slipping, since I'm allergic to adhesive, with tight underwear...
nexyjo
Board Moderator

Postby Kim 0 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 pm

nexyjo wrote:
Kim 0 wrote:... I have no experience with hip padding but it seems like you could fix them in place with double-sided tape ("fashion" tape) ...

Amy Farrah Fowler wrote:...Either way, I'd need to secure them from slipping, since I'm allergic to adhesive, with tight underwear...

LOL! :oops: I saw that but wrote my reply when I was in kind of a hurry to go pick up a prescription from the pharmacy. I guess I should clarify that I meant use the fashion tape to fix the pads to the garment, not her skin. That way there should be no skin-to-adhesive contact. It seemed clear in my mind at the time I wrote it but I guess I didn't translate that into writing! :mrgreen: :lol:

Again, I have no idea is this would actually work, having not tried it. I've done similar trans "life hacks" though, like using the tape to hold breast-enhancer pads in a bra, etc. The principle seems like it would be the same? :idea: :?
I think I'm actually a sane woman trapped in a lunatics brain.
Kim 0
Regular

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Kim 0 wrote:I've also seen that there are some support garments that have built-in hip pads that fit in external pockets. Almost like bike shorts with the padding in different places. Never tried these so no first-hand experience.

I've seen a lot of those. The unobservant designers seem to be under the impression that the widest part of a woman's hips is at the iliac crest, which it is not. So they put the pad pockets in the wrong place.

The widest point is at the great trochanter of the thigh, at the hip joint. So hip pads should run ideally from just above the knee, but at least from mid-thigh, to peak at the hip joint, then gradually curve back to meet the body again a bit below the waist--not from the crest to just above the joint. :x
Amy Farrah Fowler

Postby Schneider881 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 am

I wore Spanx a couple times but they were SO tight on me. I guess that is the point but I suffered. I wore a dress once to a club and wanted to flatten my stomach so I wore Spanx. I ended up after a couple hours taking them off and cramming them into my purse. I probably needed a better size.
Schneider881
New

Postby REM1126 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 pm

When you have the hundreds of dollars these cost, I think they are awesome.

http://procrossdresser.com/product/dt-s ... rd-length/

I don't work for these people, I don't even really know who they are. I am not making any money off anyone buying or not buying them. But, they make my shape decidedly more feminine.

They cling to your skin fairly well. I wear compression shorts over them when wearing lose things. Skinny Jeans, tights and compression leggings are all tight enough to hold them in place. You could use some medical adhesive if you want to, but I haven't needed it and I am afraid it would be messy.
REM1126

Postby REM1126 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Just so you are aware, they also apparently have started to sell these:

http://procrossdresser.com/product-cate ... /hip-pads/

$110.

I have no idea how well they work or what they are like. Personally, I'd probably save up for the silicone.
REM1126

Postby Amy Farrah Fowler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 pm

They're my dream once I have a comfortable income.
Amy Farrah Fowler

Return to Style

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm