My epilator and me....

Presentation, personal style, tips, how to’s

My epilator and me....

Postby CeliaEriksson » Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi everyone!

So today was an epilation day with my trusty epilator, (ouch! I hear you say), and after faffing around trying to look like my hero the late Mary Tyler Moore, see avator taken this afternoon, *Edit avator changed now!*(fail, I know I don't, I'm kidding it just came out like that, I was trying a new brow and powder), waiting for the epilator to finish it's charge, I wondered how many of you used one too.

I started with one about five years ago, fed up with shaving, veet creaming, wax and all that stuff, I read how the need to shave was less using an epilator and bought one.

It was not a good start as I remember, because the pain was like 99 out of 10, but I carried on regardless and I remember starting to worry when lots of red goosebumps came up. I went online and found that was normal so finished my legs, but then went around the bikini bit.................. :o !!!! I had to stop and the chest was no better so stopped there and got my razors out to finish. Next time was a few epilates later because as I noticed the leg hairs were very slow to appear I went for it again and finished everything in agony, I was very brave.

Then I found myself using it all the time, it got easier. I use it for everything on the body except the bits and, (how am I going to say)... inner crevice :roll: it's much better after a while and now it don't faze me at all. They really are good if you stick with them, always exfoliate your legs with a pad or sponge or you can get ingrowing hairs, I had a couple above my knee. Your hair comes back not as thick and it picks hairs out that are very small, I do it about every ten days, less if needed. It's best used a day before you are going out with bare legs because it does red goosebump you, though my red goosebumps vanish in hours now. It takes me about half an hour, mine is wet and dry, with the charge lasting 1 hr., it is my second one, so I have probably saved money in razors and creams and wax over the years as they are not that dear. I love it! Celia xx

PS Never understand why tall tgs moan, I would love to be tall and elegant like the great MTM was..... Image
Last edited by CeliaEriksson on Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Re: My epilator and me....

Postby dolcevita82 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 am

I started epilating 16 years ago. And I remember it hurting a lot. In the beginning I would take a few shots of vodka before starting :lol: . Now it is just a bit of an annoying feeling. Except around the hollow of the knee which is still pretty soar when I do that :x

I have very sensitive skin though, and the red bumps don't disappear very fast. What I do is mix coconut-oil, olive-oil, sugar and epsom salt, and scrub everything with that mixture afterwards. I know it might be a bit aggressive, but it works for me. For a few hours I'm full lobster, but after that the red bumps disappear, and it leaves my skin very soft! For the 'delicate area' I ocassionally get a professional brazilian wax. I found it much easier, since it would take me so much time, and so much more pain to do it myself with an epilater. Also my epilater sometimes decides to eat parts of loose skin in that area, and it the worst thing ever!!

All in all very happy with me epilater :)
I'm not just transgender, I'm transginger
dolcevita82

Postby CeliaEriksson » Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Dolcevita,

Ooh, I would go red raw too exfoliating straight afterwards, I'll try your mixture as I'm using Johnsons (*Edit* Palmer's!)* Cocoa and vit e cream and that does it for me and is a good softener but I always like to try new stuff, I have all that except Epsom salts so I'll get some and try it next time. I do my bikini with it but on my one there's a sensitive area attachment and I put it on the slower rotations. It still hurts and goes red but luckily I've never actually pulled skin off, that must hurt terrible. You're right the hollow of the knee is not only stingy it is difficult to do, the stringy vein? bits either side of the hollow too.

For it is only a day since for example all is looking nice now after doing it yesterday, I'll exfoliate tomorrow morning. I use my soft exfoliating sponge first then I use gloves after a couple of days as they are rougher, luckily I don't get ingrown hairs much anymore. Celia. :thumb:
Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby Rheya » Fri May 19, 2017 3:14 pm

I've had my mind on an epilator for some time now but have yet to be able to justify putting the money down for it. Always been unsure if I should go for a regular one or splurge a little and get the kind you can use in the shower. Had a girlfriend once who had an epilator and used it on me and it was near excruciating, but it got better pretty quickly.

The whole ingrown hairs thing worries me but there are clearly loads of ways to deal with that and prevent it, and I've never been all that prone to ingrown hairs to begin with.
Rheya

Postby CeliaEriksson » Sun May 21, 2017 8:38 am

Hi Rheya,

You should consider buying one, yes get a wet n' dry, not worth skimping on one. Some parts are much easier to do wet. Also get one with all the attachments, mine has sensitive area head, normal head, a shave attachment that acts like a shaver and other stuff. It also has slow and fast speeds.

It's getting on a week now since I last used it and not one hair has reappeared yet, it is so good, just the goosebumpy bits we spoke of earlier is a pain, you have to plan ahead kind of thing. I'm hoping to travel quite far soon, to someone quite special and would not want to turn up with any of little blighters trying to come out for a long while. So much to work out with timing for that trip though....
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby mitzidog » Sun May 21, 2017 11:25 am

I've just taken the plunge and ordered one. I know first time will be hurty, but I also know it will get better over time.
mitzidog

Postby marci » Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 am

I've used one (Braun Orange Silk IIRC wet/dry but only used wet in the bath) until it simply wore out and loved it. Yes, there's a definite getting used to it phase, but as you use it regrowth is more sporadic and it gets easier. A couple of Ibuprofen helps with the ouchies. Pay close attention so you don't grab skin and it's golden.

Gonna have to get another one soon...
Oh I wanna be a rubberband girl...
marci

Postby mitzidog » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:49 am

Arrived today, done one lower leg - stingy and a bit painful around the knee. I'll wait a couple of hours to exfoliate. Hopefully that will be OK. Both legs and (eeek) chest to do by the weekend so I can wear a pretty scoop dress.
mitzidog

Postby CeliaEriksson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Well done sweetheart. Don't worry if you miss a few, go over them with a razor and get them next time. Eventually, you'll get lovely smooth legs a day or two after epilating. Don't worry too much about the red goosebumpy bits, that's normal. I'd leave it 'til the morning to exfoliate, you'll have very teenytiny little flaps of skin where a hair was tweezed in places, give them overnight to be ready to be removed or you may get incy red dots and they won't go by Saturday.

The hair comes back thinner, there has been some debate how true that is, but I believe it's true and the time they takes to come back is way longer than just shaving. Be brave doll, you can do the lot in one go, it is Friday tomorrow so you are cutting it close to have them perfect with one...... (see the pun!). Stick with it though, you'll come to love your little machine, every girl should have one.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby mitzidog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:47 am

Thanks Celia - the weekend is just an arbitrary target, so no biggie if I don'e get it all done by then.

In your experience, how long until they need doing again?
mitzidog

Postby CeliaEriksson » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Mitzidog, I use it about every ten days, sometimes a little longer. It should be about the same for you, but maybe everyone is different? The tweezers can take them out when they are quite short, you don't have to wait until you look like Yogi Bear! It's how dark they are too, mine are light brown and only a very close eye....., (yeh right, I should be so lucky lately), would notice if I left it a couple of days too long.

First morning after use the glove exfoliators and use a soft exfoliating sponge every morning too and after, I also use exfoliating cream which helps. If it's towards Epilation Day, (Da-da-Dum!!!), and something special comes up important, I will shave, but using the epilator is my number one choice.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby mitzidog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks. Have both legs done now. going for the chest hair later then into the bath for some wine and a cry (if it really hurts) or a whimper (if it only hurts a bit) :lol:
mitzidog

Postby MikiSJ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:28 pm

DO NOT USE ON YOU FACE. DO NOT WAX YOUR FACE, for that matter, as epilation and waxing are essentially the same. You may, will, end up with horrendous ingrown hairs.
When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks. Doodling is allowed. I have started a new chapter but will still use a pencil.
MikiSJ

Postby mitzidog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks Miki - had no intention of using it on my face. Managed to get enough off on the chest to wear my scoop dresses, but will need some serious pain killers to do the rest of the chest even. Had to shave the rest for now.
mitzidog

Postby CeliaEriksson » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Yes Miki is right, never on the face. I once tweezered one to the side of the bottom of my nose and it came up in a horrendous bump a few days later! I should hope most folk know about not using it on the face.
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby mitzidog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:34 pm

This evening I wore a dress without leggings or jeans under it. It felt fantastic. I actually felt sexy as a woman for the first time.
mitzidog

Postby CeliaEriksson » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Yay! Go girl!!!
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby mitzidog » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Ten days later and no sign of needing to shave yet, and certainly not enough to epliate again.

It's a miracle worker.
mitzidog

Postby CeliaEriksson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 pm

That's great Mitzi, look after those lovely legs girl! Remember it will get them very short in length and they appear to come back fewer and further between. Good news honey. Celia xx
Mary Tyler Moore.
CeliaEriksson

Postby mitzidog » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 pm

little leg hairs just emerging. I'll redo the epilator if they are long enough on Sunday, as I will need them lovely and smooth for Tuesday when they will be on show, either bare or under fairly sheer tights depending on the temperature.
mitzidog

Postby marie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:14 am

Although my wife has an epilator it doesn't seem to work for some reason. I honestly don't know why she had it anyway she only has downy blonde hair and not much of that anyway.

Sadly the same can't be said for me although in fact I'm relatively lucky in that I have next to no chest hair and my leg hair is quite light and mostly blonde. Shaving always worked well for me but lately I bought one of those light emitting IPL hair removal system. I got it from Lidl for a bargain price. I have to say it does work after a fashion. It's clear that there is a reduction in hair coverage. To be fair I haven't used it enough to get maximum effect and it doesn't work on blonde hairs something which the instructions state. I suspect also that for people with thicker and heavier hair it might not be adequate.

So I think I maybe should invest in an epilator based on what you ladies are saying. The pain thing is a worry but then again my hair is quite light so maybe it won't be too bad! :o

I wish there was something other than laser for removing beards!
marie

Return to Style

coiae

Consonance of Identity and Expression

© 2000 - 2016 The Ultimate Paradigm